Your role in supporting and assessing students: Surgical Care Practice
Occasionally, students do not meet the required standard and it is necessary to fail them. In this event, it is important that students know why they have not met the pass criteria and that they have been given an opportunity to improve at the formative stage.
It is therefore essential to:
- have robust and transparent processes in place
- investigate why your student may be having difficulties
- compile comprehensive documentation as evidence
- use support networks (see Supporting mentors and students in practice).
- pick up problems early!
- use Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Timely, (SMART) objectives
- set clear review dates
- make clear action plans.
See the documents below for examples of completed action plans.