Information for EU students

We know that EU, EEA and Swiss students who want to study in the UK in future may be concerned about issues such as fees and immigration.

This page contains the latest information and we will continue to update it regularly.

Starting a course in 2020/21

The UK Government has confirmed funding for EU students starting university courses in the 2020/21 academic year.

This means that for EU students starting an undergraduate or Masters course at an English university:

  • your fees will be the same as UK student fees for the duration of your course
  • if you apply for a course by the deadline of 31 December 2020, you will still be eligible for student loans for the duration of your course
  • EU undergraduate students will continue to be eligible for our £800 Undergraduate Bursary
  • assuming the UK leaves the EU with a deal, there is no immediate change to your immigration status.

PhD students remain eligible to apply for UK Research Council studentships for the duration of their study.

Please visit the UK Council for International Student affairs (UKCISA) for the latest advice and guidance for EU students.

If you have any questions, please contact us at

Starting a course in 2021/22

Tuition fees

Following the UK's decision to withdraw from the European Union, the UK Government has confirmed that EU students, will no longer have access to financial support such as student loans from Student Finance England. As a result of this EU students starting a course from the academic year 2021/22 onwards will be charged fees at the international tuition fee rate.

We are pleased to offer a range of scholarships and bursaries to help support you and reward our most talented applicants.

This tuition fee change doesn’t affect EU, EEA and Swiss nationals benefiting from UK citizens’ rights under the respective withdrawal agreements. It also does not apply to Irish nationals living in the UK or Ireland, whose right to study and to access benefits and services will remain.

Visas and immigration

From 1 January 2021 all EU and EEA students arriving in the UK will need to apply for a student visa under a new immigration system. For more information about visas and immigration visit the Gov.UK website or contact us at

This information doesn't apply to Irish citizens: you will have the right to enter and live in the UK under Common Travel Area Arrangements.

Questions or concerns?

If you're already studying at ARU and want to talk, our International Student Advice Service can help.

You'll find us on campus in Cambridge and Chelmsford. There's no need to book an appointment, just drop in from 10am–12 noon, Monday–Friday.

Alternatively you can contact us by email or phone.

Visit MyAnglia for full contact details.

Brexit information and guidance

Visit our information page for the latest guidance on living and studying in the UK after Brexit.

If you're already a student at ARU, the International Student Advice Service pages on MyAnglia have detailed information for you.

View our brochure