What's in the room and what to bring

Our university accommodation offers a bed, desk, chair, wardrobe and shelves as a minimum. On this page we'll look at some of the things you might want to bring with you.

What do I need when living in university accommodation?

  • Bedding (pillows, duvets and sheets)
  • Towels
  • Personal items, eg hairdryer, shaver, etc
  • Electric kettle
  • Plates and bowls
  • Pots and pans
  • Cutlery
  • Toaster
  • Tea towels
  • Oven gloves
  • Personal first aid kit
  • Small sewing kit
  • Electrical adapters (these must meet British Safety Standards)

You could buy kitchen items after you arrive and share the cost with your housemates.

A company called Uni Kit Out sells packs of student essentials. You can order before you move in and they’ll be in your room when you arrive. There’s more information on pack content and prices on the Uni Kit Out website.

Will I need to insure my personal possessions?

If you’re moving into accommodation that ARU manages, your possessions will be automatically covered up to £5,000 through our insurer Cover4students.com. Please check below that the policy covers everything you need it to.

Student possessions insurance policy

Student possessions insurance leaflet

If you’ll be living at CB1 or The Railyard, your possessions will also be automatically covered. The staff there will give you a copy of the policy, as it's different to the one above.

If you’ll be living in the YMCA or Sedley Court, you'll need to arrange your own personal possessions insurance as it isn't included in your rent.

Can I bring my car with me?

When you move in we'll provide parking while you unload, but we don't have any long-term parking for residents except for those with a Blue Badge.

In Chelmsford, there’s limited parking available if you're studying a specific course. Our Student Village parking policy has more information.

Student Village parking policy and application form

In Cambridge, the closest public car parks are the Queen Anne and Grafton Street multi-storeys, both about five minutes' walk from campus.

In Chelmsford, the Riverside Ice and Leisure car park is a five-minute walk from campus.

Can I bring my motorcycle or bike?

Yes, we have parking spaces for motorcycles and bikes on our campuses. There's also plenty of bike parking at our halls and houses.

Do I need a TV licence?

If you want to watch TV in your room, download or record live programmes or watch BBC iPlayer on any device, you'll need to get a TV licence. This covers you for watching through any device. You might need a portable aerial if you want to watch TV in your room.

Anyone without a valid TV licence who watches or records television programmes as described above risks prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.