Dr Javad Zarrin
Faculty:Faculty of Science and Engineering
School:Computing and Information Science
Javad is a lecturer with several years of research experience in different areas of Networking and Computing Systems and more than ten years of extensive software development experience in industry. His research interests are in the broad area of distributed systems including Networks, AI, Big Data, and Cloud Computing.
View Javad’s profile on Github
Before joining ARU, Javad was a postdoctoral research associate in University of Cambridge. As part of Systems Research Group (SRG) at Department of Computer Science and Technology, he focused on combination of AI and optimisation theory providing optimal distributed solutions for management, and scheduling of processing resources in large-scale data centres. He has taught and supervised many undergraduate courses (UCam Tripos Parts IA, IB and II) during his postdoc. Before Cambridge, he worked in City University of London, University of Aveiro and Instituto de Telecomunicações (IT-Aveiro) for several years. He received a PhD in Computer Science from University of Porto in 2016. His research interests are in the broad area of distributed systems and his recent interests include Optimal AI Solutions, Networks, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Data Analytic, Optimization, Data Stream Processing, Scheduling, Simulation, HPC, Cloud, Edge, Fog and Large-Scale Computing. Javad has contributed in various UK and European research projects (sponsored by EPSRC, FP7, Horizon2020, FCT and FEDER). He has served as PC member and reviewer for many systems and networks conferences, workshops and journals (e.g. ACM EUROSYS-Shadow-PC Member). Javad has previously spent several years in industry working as senior software engineer, data scientist and project leader.
- Distributed/Decentralised Algorithms/Systems, Large-Scale Systems
- Machine Learning, Neural Networks, Optimisation
- Networks, Datacentres, Mobile and Vehicular Networks, Routing, Self-Adaptation
- Cluster Scheduling, Resource/Service Description, Discovery, Allocation and Management
- Datacentres, Scalability and Heterogeneity of Resources/Workloads, Realtime Applications
- Cloud, Edge, Fog, Cluster, Manycore and Parallel Computing
- Simulation and Modelling, Virtualisation, Containerisation and Microservices
- Internet of Things, Cyber-Physical Systems
- Autonomous Cars, Smart Cities, Smart Manufacturing and Industry-V4
- Big Data Processing and Data Platforms, Autonomic Computing, Batch/Stream Processing
Areas of research supervision
Supervisions for postgraduate students and research projects are accepted for any topics/areas related to the above research interests.
Advanced Machine Learning, Cyber Security and AI Case Studies, Computer Networks and Security for courses including:
- Artificial Intelligence and Big Data - MSc
- Artificial Intelligence with Cyber Security - MSc
- Intelligent Systems and Machine Learning - MSc
- Postdoc in Distributed Systems, University of Cambridge
- PhD in Computer Science, University of Porto
- ECR Teach Certificate, Institute of Continuing Education, University of Cambridge
Memberships, editorial boards
Selected recent publications
- Javad Zarrin, Rui L. Aguiar, João Paulo Barraca, Resource discovery for distributed computing systems: A comprehensive survey, In Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, Volume 113, 2018, Pages 127-166, ISSN 0743-7315, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpdc.2017.11.010.
- Javad Zarrin, Rui L. Aguiar, João Paulo Barraca, Decentralized Resource Discovery and Management for Future Manycore Systems, October 2017, arXiv preprint arXiv:1710.03649, Read Here
- Javad Zarrin, Rui L. Aguiar, João Paulo Barraca,HARD: Hybrid Adaptive Resource Discovery for Jungle Computing, In Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Volume 90, 2017, Pages 42-73, ISSN 1084-8045, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnca.2017.04.014.
- Javad Zarrin, Rui L. Aguiar, João Paulo Barraca, Manycore Simulation for Peta-scale System Design: Motivation, Tools, Challenges and Prospects, Journal of Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, Volume 72, March 2017, Pages 168-201, ISSN 1569-190X, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.simpat.2016.12.014.
- Javad Zarrin, Rui L. Aguiar, João Paulo Barraca, ElCore: Dynamic elastic resource management and discovery for future large-scale manycore enabled distributed systems, Microprocessors and Microsystems, Volume 46, Part B, October 2016, Pages 221-239, ISSN 0141-9331, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.micpro.2016.06.007.
- Javad Zarrin, Rui L. Aguiar, João Paulo Barraca, Dynamic, scalable and flexible resource discovery for large-dimension many-core systems, Future Generation Computer Systems, Elsevier, Volume 53, December 2015, Pages 119-129, ISSN 0167-739X, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.future.2014.12.011.
Recent presentations and conferences
- Zarrin, J.; Kalyvianaki, E. "Distributed Asynchronous ADMM and Heterogeneous Cluster Management", At Research Review 2018, September 2018, Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
- Zarrin, J.; Kalyvianaki, E. "Towards Optimal Resource Management for Large-Scale Data Centers", At 13th Cloud Control Workshop, June 2018, Stockholm, Sweden.