By adopting new working practices and supporting the use of zero and low carbon transport we will reduce the impacts of our commuting and business travel.
Our travel plan aims to help staff and students make greener travel choices with money off bus and train travel and discounts on bikes, which we hope you can benefit from.
We carry out regular travel surveys to monitor the effectiveness of our travel plan and to see how our staff and students travel to and between our campuses.
We provide extensive information on the various ways you can travel to our campuses:
We've agreed travel discounts with local bus and train companies for ARU students and staff, and offer a cycle to work scheme.
1. Avoid travel. Our Sustainability Strategy includes a commitment for all cross-campus meetings to allow video conference and remote joining.
2. Walking and cycling. Cycling can be one of the cheapest, quickest and healthiest ways to get to our campuses. See our Cycling to ARU guide (PDF) for all the information you need, including cycling discounts, facilities, safety and security.
3. Public transport. Our campuses are well served by public transport and we’ve agreed discounts for our staff and students with local bus and train companies to make your journey better for your finances as well as the environment.
4. Car sharing. Sign up to our dedicated car share platform on ARUgreen to make it easier and more rewarding to share your commute with fellow colleagues and students.
5. Electric vehicles. We provide an electric car charge point in the Mildmay car park at our Chelmsford campus for two vehicles for ARU staff and students. The points need to be booked in advance and parking and electric charges apply. Full details can be found in our electric car charging point guide (PDF).