Sustainability awards and achievements
We're proud to have received the following awards and accreditation for our work on sustainability, and to be the home of the Global Sustainability Institute – established in Cambridge in 2011.
- The THE Impact Rankings measured university progress around the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. We were ranked 36th in the world and 2nd in the UK for Good Health and Wellbeing; and one of the top 200 in the world for Reduced Inequalities.
- We're finalists in two categories at the Green Gown Awards: Sustainability Institution of the Year, and Next Generation Learning and Skills. These annual awards focus on sustainability initiatives taking place in universities.
- We achieved NUS Responsible Futures accreditation for our approach to embedding sustainability across all aspects of our institution.
- Our International Community Experience, Sustainable Sainji, was shortlisted for a Green Gown award.
- We were shortlisted as a Sustainable Business of the Year finalist in the annual Edie Sustainability Leaders Awards.
- Our Students’ Union received a gold Green Impact award from the National Union of Students.
- We became one of the first universities to embed sustainability into our academic regulations, making it obligatory for all courses to include Education for Sustainability.
- We also received a Green Apple Award for our Young Street Health Building in Cambridge.
- Our MSc Sustainability, delivered in partnership with Change Agents UK and the Eden Project, was shortlisted for an EAUC Green Gown award. It's been described by our external examiner as ‘ground-breaking’.
- We won the International Sustainable Campus Network Award for Integration.
- The HEFCE Revolving Green Fund awarded us £1 million for the Combined Heat and Power plant on our Cambridge campus.
- ARU was the first UK university to sign up to the Rio +20 declaration committing to the development of sustainable practices for Higher Education Institutions
- We received a Wildlife Trust Living Landscape Award for the restoration of the Millpond habitat on our Chelmsford campus.