Frequently asked questions about finance and payments

On this page you'll find answers to a number of questions that our students ask about finance, including tuition fee payment and setting up payment plans.

Ways to pay

How can I make a payment?

What credit and debit cards do you take?

Online payments

Are online payments secure?

Which cards do you accept?

Why was my payment declined?

When will my payment show on my account?

Recurring card payments

How can I see what payments are scheduled?

Can I change my payment date?

How can I update my payment card details?

I’ve got a new debit/credit card. Will my payment still go through?

How can I get a receipt for my payment?

I made a payment by bank transfer, why have you taken a payment off my card as well?

Payment plans

Can I pay in instalments?

How can I update my payment card details?

I'm having difficulty meeting my payment plan. What should I do?


What do I need to provide to obtain my refund?

Tuition fees

When are tuition fees due for payment?

I have a student loan. What should I do?

Do I have to pay a deposit for any courses?

What is your Professional Career Development Loan number?


How do I pay for my University accommodation?

Library fines

How do I pay a library fine?

Replacement student ID cards

How can I get a new student ID card and what does it cost?

If your particular question isn't answered here, give our Income Team a call on 01245 683190 (Monday-Thursday 8.30am-4.45pm, Friday 8.30am-4.15pm) or email