Dr Yingang Du
Senior Lecturer, Civil Engineering; Course leader, BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering
Faculty:Faculty of Science and Engineering
School:Engineering and the Built Environment
Areas of Expertise:
Yingang has worked at several institutions as a lecturer/senior lecturer, and has experience in the steel construction industry as a principal engineer in structure. He also has extensive experience in teaching, research, PhD supervision and consultancy in civil and structural engineering.
Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE)
Engineering Council (Chartered Engineer – CEng)
Google Scholar Citations
Yingang's research interests and consultancy activities focus on the area of assessment and design of engineering structures under severe environments, including marine environments and/or in fire/high temperature and/or seismic zones. He has carried out a series of corrosion testing, fire testing and finite element analysis to study the safety and performance of engineering structures with corroding reinforcements and/or exposed to fire and/or under an earthquake.
Since 2000, Yingang has published 22 papers in peer-reviewed international journals and conferences, some of which have been referred to by peers globally. In addition, Yingang has been invited to act as independent peer for several international journals, including ACI Structural, ACI Materials, Engineering Structures, and Construction and Building Materials. He received grants for research from The Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE) and The Royal Academy of Engineering in 2007.
- Finite element analysis of effects of steel corrosion on concrete structures
- Durability of concrete materials and structures
- Residual strength and ductility of corroded steel bars
- Assessment of residual life of concrete structures with corroding steel bars
- Design/construction of steel-concrete structures
- Earthquake-resistant design of engineering structures.
- Fire resistance of steel-concrete composite floors/beams
- Fire engineering design of steel, concrete, and composite structures
Areas of research supervision
- Corrosion behaviour of reinforcement embedded in the concrete with BHD admixture
- Automatic inspection of highways structures
- Modelling of service life of concrete structure with corroding reinforcements
- Effect of steel ductility on performance of concrete beam
- Assessment of residual life of concrete structures with corroding steel bars
- FE analysis of reinforcement corrosion on performance of engineering structures
- Dynamic response of multi-storey concrete buildings under an earthquake
- Performance of the concrete with GGBS under different environmental condition
- Effect of cooling regime on the residual strength of the fire-damaged concrete
- FE analysis of poor construction quality on performance of concrete structures
BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering, BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering, MSc Civil Engineering, BSc (Hons) Building Surveying, BSc (Hons) Construction Management
- PhD in Civil Engineering, The University of Birmingham, UK
- MEng in Structural Engineering, Xian University of Architecture and Technology (XAUAT), Xian 710055, China
- BEng in Civil Engineering, XAUAT, Xian, China
- PGCertFE, University of Dundee, UK
- PGCertHE, Anglia Ruskin University, UK
Memberships, editorial boards
- CEng - Chartered Engineer, Engineering Council
- MIStructE - Member of Institution of Structural Engineers
- SFHEA - Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA)
- MIABSE –Member of International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering
- Committee member, IStructE Thomas Valley Regional Group
- Committee member, West Midland Concrete Society, 2006-8
- Senior member, RILEM on reinforcement corrosion, 2007-8
Research grants, consultancy, knowledge exchange
- Steel Construction Institute (SCI), fire engineering design of steel-concrete composite floor, 2009
- Institution of Structural Engineer (IStructE), performed–based investigation of concrete beam under simultaneous loading and reinforcement corrosion (research project), 2007
- Royal Academy of Engineering (RAE), international travel grant, 2007
Selected recent publications
- Ba, MF., Gao, Q., Ma, YL., Zhu JZ., Du YG (2021), Improved hydration and properties of agnesiumoxysulfate (MOS) cement using sodium silicate as an additive, International Journal of Construction and Building Materials. Volume 267, 120988.
- Li, DW., Li, P., Du, Y., Wei, R (2018). Applicability Analysis of Assessment Methods for Morphological Parameters of Corroded Steel Bars. Journal of Visualized Experiments, (141), e57859, doi:10.3791/57859.
- Wei R, Du YG, Zou L and Li DW (2018), Statistical analysis of geometrical parameters of corroded reinforcement, International Journal of Computational Physics Series 1(1), 191-196, doi:10.29167/A1I1P191-196.
- Li, DW, Wei, R, Du YG, Guan XT and Zhou MY (2017), Measurement methods of geometrical parameters and amount of corrosion of steel Bar, International Journal of Construction and Building Materials. Volume 154, Pages 921-927.
- Gurkalo F, Du YG, Poutos K, Jimenez-Bescos C (2017), The nonlinear analysis of an innovative slit reinforced concrete water tower in seismic regions, Journal of Engineering Structure, Volume 134, 1 March 2017, Pages 138–149
- Liu JZ, Ba MF, Du YG, He ZM and Chen JB (2016), Effects of Chloride ions on Carbonation Rate of Hardened Cement Paste by X-ray CT Techniques, International Journal of Construction and Building Materials. Volume 122, Pages 619-627.
- Du Y G, Chan AHC, Clark LA, Wang XT,Gurkalo F and Bartos S (2013), Finite Element Analysis of Cracking and Delamination of Concrete Beam due to Steel Corrosion Engineering Structures, Journal of Engineering Structure, Volume 56, Pages 8-21.
- Kang JT, Wang XF, Yang J, Du YG (2013), Strengthening double curved arch bridges by using extrados section augmentation method, International Journal of Construction and Building Materials. Volume 41, Pages 165-174
- Du Y G, Cullen M and Li C K (2013), Structural effects of simultaneous loading and reinforcement corrosion on performance of concrete beams, International Journal of Construction and Building Materials. Volume 39, Pages 148–152(Special Issue: ISCCM 2011, Ningbo, China, and November 7-9, 2011).
- Du Y G, Cullen M and Li C K (2013), Structural performance of RC beams under simultaneous loading and reinforcement corrosion, International Journal of Construction and Building Materials, Vol.38, p472–481
- Du Y G (2009), Simply supported unrestrained beam, Steel building design: worked examples for students, SCI Publication P387, Edited by Brettle M. Published by The Steel construction institute (SCI), Ascot, UK, ISBN978-1-85942-191-8.
- Cairns J, Du Y G and Law D (2008), Structural performance of corrosion-damaged concrete beam, Magazine of Concrete Research, Vol.60, No.5, p359-370.
- Du Y G, Clark L A and Chan A H C (2007), Impact of reinforcement corrosion on ductilebehaviour of reinforced concrete beams, ACI Structural Journal, Vol.104, No. 3, pp 285-293.
- Cairns J, Du Y G and Law D (2007), Influence of corrosion on friction characteristics of steel/concrete interface, International Journal of Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 21, No.1, January, pp190-197.
- Du Y G, Tang C W and Xu Y (2007). Investigation of mechanical properties of corroded reinforcement using simulated corrosion, Proceedings of 5th International Conference on the Current and Future Trends in Bridges Design, Construction and Maintenance, Beijing, China, 17th and 18th September, Edited by Lark, R, pp83-92, Thomas Telford Publishing, London, ISBN 978-07277-3593-5.
- Du Y G, Xu, Y and Tang C W (2007). A Numerical model to assess mechanical properties of corroded reinforcements, Proceedings of the International RILEM Workshop-Integral Service Life Modeling of Concrete Structures (PRO56), 5-6 November, Guimaraes, Portugal, edited by Ferreira R M, Gulikers J and Andrade C, pp389-412, ISBN 1905088078.
- Du Y G, Chan A H C and Clark L A (2006), Finite element analysis of effects of radial expansion of corroded reinforcements, International Journal of Computers & Structures, Vol.84, No. 13-14, June, 2006, pp917-929.
- Cairns J, Du Y G and Law D (2006), Residual bond strength of corroded plain bars, Magazine of Concrete Research, Vol.58, No. 4, May, 2006.
- Du Y G and Cairns J (2006) Effect of bond deterioration on behaviour of concrete beams, Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Computational Structural Technology. Paper 124, Ed by Topping B H V, Montero G and Montenegro R, Civil-Comp Ltd, ISBN 1905088078.
- Du Y G, Clark L A and Chan A H C (2005), Residual capacity of corroded reinforcing bars. Magazine of Concrete Research, Vol.57, No.3, pp135-147.
- Du Y G, Clark L A and Chan A H C (2005), Effect of corrosion on ductility of reinforcing bars. Magazine of Concrete Research, Vol.57, No.7, pp407-419.
- Cairns J, Plizzari G, Du Y G, Law D W and Franzoni C. (2005). Mechanical properties of corrosion damaged reinforcement. ACI Materials Journal, Vol.102, No.2, pp256-264.
- Cairns J, Du Y G and Law D (2005), Criteria for and prediction of limit states of degradation of reinforced concrete structures. Proceedings of 6th International Conference: Global Construction: Ultimate Concrete Opportunities, Dundee, UK.
- Cairns J, Du Y G and Law D (2005), Assessment of corrosion damaged reinforced concrete structures. Proceedings of 6th International Conference: Global Construction: Ultimate Concrete Opportunities, Dundee, UK.
- Cairns J, Du Y G, Law D and Johnston M (2003), Structural assessment of corrosion damaged bridges, Proceedings of 10th International Conference and Exhibition on Structural Faults and Repair, London, July 2003, Engineering Technical Press, Edinburgh. 2003. 15pp.
- Williamson S J, Du Y G and Clark L A (2003), Discussion on paper published in magazine of concrete research, deflection of RC beam under simultaneous load and steel corrosion by Ballim Y, Reid J C and Kemp A R. Magazine of Concrete Research, Vol. 55. No 4, pp405-406.
- Cairns J, Du Y G and Johnston M (2002), Bond of plain bars affected by corrosion. BefestigungstechnikBewehrungstechnik. pp261-270. Ibidem-Verlag, Stuttgart. ISBN 3 89821 208 4 (Invited paper).
- Cairns J, Du Y G and Johnston M (2002), Residual bond capacity of corroded plain surface reinforcement. Proceedings of International Conference on Bond in Concrete – from Research to Standards. Budapest, Hungary, Nov 2002. Publishing Company of Budapest Technical University. Budapest. pp 129-136. ISBN 963 420 714 6.
- Purkiss J A and Du Y G (2000), A Parameter study of factors influencing fire resistance of reinforced concrete columns, Proceedings of BCA-2000 Conference, Birmingham, UK, pp357- 364.
- Clark L A, Du Y G and Chan A H C (2000) Effect of corrosion on ductility of reinforcement, Proceedings of International Conference of Bridges Management and Maintenance, Bridges Management 4, Thomas Telford,pp577-583..