Lecturer, Computer Games Art
Affiliated with StoryLab Research Institute
Faculty:Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
School:Cambridge School of Creative Industries
Areas of Expertise:
Computer games art , Computing and technology
Computer Games Art, Computer Games Development (Art)
An industry practising environment artist, Matt works with his own company to create video games for a range of different platforms. Matt's research interest are focused around using virtual reality for education and realistic rendering for real-time production.
Visit Matt's website and YouTube channel
Matt graduated with a MA in Animation and Special Effects from Sheffield Hallam University. Since graduating Matt has worked for a game art outsource company working on a Montana 16 rendered trailer for video game conference E3 as well as starting his own company, Table Flip Games.
Table Flip Games are currently working on porting their game Sure Footing to Xbox One and Switch. Sure Footing is a fast and frantic endless running platformer about four friends saving their world from extinction.
Matt has also taught at other institutions in the midlands and Yorkshire area.
- The creation of art content for procedural content generation
- Use of VR for training purpose in games.
- Realistic rendering for real-time production
- Introduction to Game Art
- Advanced Computer Games Art
- Specialized Practice
- Games Development
- Computer Games Art
- Major Project
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education: Anglia Ruskin University
- MA Animation and Special Effects: Sheffield Hallam University
- PTTLs: Chesterfield College
- BA(Hons) Computer Games Modelling and Animation: University of Derby
Memberships, editorial boards
- STEM Ambassador
- UKIE Video Game Ambassador
Research grants, consultancy, knowledge exchange
- External panel member for course validation between Sheffield College and Sheffield Hallam University.
Selected recent publications
Thompson, T (2016) 'Scalable Level Generation for 2D Platforming Games'. In: Procedural Content Generation Workshop (FDG 2016) (second author)
'The Next Level', ITN Productions