Lecturer, Computer Games Art
Affiliated with StoryLab Research Institute
Faculty:Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
School:Cambridge School of Creative Industries
Areas of Expertise:
Computer games art , Computing and technology
Computer Games Art, Computer Games Development (Art)
An industry practising environment artist, Matt works with his own company to create video games for a range of different platforms. Matt's research interest are focused around using virtual reality for education and realistic rendering for real-time production.
Visit Matt's website and YouTube channel
Matt graduated with a MA in Animation and Special Effects from Sheffield Hallam University. Since graduating Matt has worked for a game art outsource company working on a Montana 16 rendered trailer for video game conference E3 as well as starting his own company, Table Flip Games.
Table Flip Games are currently working on the game Sure Footing, a fast and frantic endless running platformer about four friends saving their world from extinction. This will be released in 2018 on a wide range of platforms.
Matt has also taught at other institutions in the midlands and Yorkshire area.
- The creation of art content for procedural content generation
- Use of VR for training purpose in games.
- Realistic rendering for real-time production
- Introduction to Game Art
- Advanced Computer Games Art
- Specialized Practice
- Games Development
- Computer Games Art
- Major Project
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education: Anglia Ruskin University
- MA Animation and Special Effects: Sheffield Hallam University
- PTTLs: Chesterfield College
- BA(Hons) Computer Games Modelling and Animation: University of Derby
Memberships, editorial boards
- STEM Ambassador
- UKIE Video Game Ambassador
Research grants, consultancy, knowledge exchange
- External panel member for course validation between Sheffield College and Sheffield Hallam University.
Selected recent publications
Thompson, T (2016) 'Scalable Level Generation for 2D Platforming Games'. In: Procedural Content Generation Workshop (FDG 2016) (second author)
'The Next Level', ITN Productions