Course Leader, MA Computer Games Development (Art) / MSc Computer Games Development (Computing)
Faculty:Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
School:Cambridge School of Creative Industries
Areas of Expertise:
Computing and technology
Computer Games Development (Art), Computer Games Development (Computing), Computer Games Technology, Computer Science
Ian has experience working as a software engineer, team leader, software architect and trainer in financial software, internet retail, web services and game development companies.
Follow Ian on Twitter
Ian has over 30 years' programming experience, with a wide range of languages and hardware ranging from the TRS-80 to the Xbox 360 and modern PC. His career started in financial IT developing trading software for the Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi. He also acted as in-house trainer for graduate employees, teaching both the software and programming techniques.
Since then, Ian worked for several independent start-up companies before starting his own games studio in 2011. His company has published two games for the iPad built with the Unity game engine and C#. Ian brings this experience directly to his teaching on our Computer Gaming Technology degree.
- Artificial intelligence and knowledge representation for valuation and negotiation
- Procedural generation of game environments and content
- Gamification of teaching and learning
- Metrics analysis techniques for improving game design
Ian is a member of our Sound And Game Engineering Research Group.
Find out more about our Computer Science PhD or our Sound Engineering PhD.
- MSc Information Technology (Management Information Systems), Cranfield University
- BSc Astronomy and Astrophysics, University of St Andrews
Memberships, editorial boards
- Fellow, the Higher Education Academy
Research grants, consultancy, knowledge exchange
- Joint founder and director of Eidolon Studios Ltd, developing games for mobile and desktop platforms and middleware for the Unity game engine