Dr Graham Cable
Forces in Mind Trust Research Centre (FiMT RC), affiliated to the Veterans and Families Institute for Military Social Research
Faculty:Faculty of Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care
Graham Cable is a former military officer and consultant with a background in military training and higher education and research, the latter relating to international relations and military-to-civilian transition.
Graham was medically discharged from the British Army after almost 16 years’ regular service (with an additional five years as a reservist), during which he served on operations in Angola, Iraq and Northern Ireland, as well as delivering and managing educational and training services to all ranks and services.
While in the Army, Graham added to his previous BA (Hons) (in Spanish and Portuguese) by undertaking in-service MA International Liaison and Communication and Master of Education degrees, while also teaching Spanish at the Defence School and Languages (now Defence Centre for Languages and Culture, UK Defence Academy) and as an Associate Lecturer at The Open University.
Upon leaving the Army, Graham began part-time teaching on the MA International Liaison and Communication course at the University of Westminster as well as a professional role at Canterbury Christ Church University. It was at this time he began his part-time Education Doctorate, before moving to a consultancy roles with NATO and a Middle Eastern armed forces before concluding his thesis, ‘Beyond being the best: educating for narrative repair in transition from British Army to Civvy Street’, in 2020.
Graham now brings his former military experience and research interests to his FiMT RC role, as well as volunteering as a member of the King’s College London Centre for Military Mental Health Veterans Research Advisory Group and South East England Veterans Advisory and Pensions Committee.
- Military-to-civilian transition (including families)
- Military mental health
- Biographical narrative
- The Luso-Hispanic World
- MA International Liaison and Communication
- BA (Hons) Spanish and Latin American Studies (with Portuguese)
Memberships, editorial boards
- Member of the Chartered Management Institute
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists
- Member of KCMHR Veterans Research Advisory Group
- Member of South East England Veterans Advisory and Pensions Committee
Selected recent publications
- Cable, G., Cathcart, D., and Almond, M. K. (2021). The case for veteran-friendly higher education in Canada and the United Kingdom. Journal of Veterans Studies, 7(1), 46–54.
- Godier-McBard, L. R., Cable G., Wood A., and Fossey M. (in press) Gender and barriers to mental healthcare in UK military veterans: a preliminary investigation. BMJ Military Health.
Recent presentations and conferences
- ‘Narrating the military-to-civilian transition experience: significance, strategies and support’: NHS Armed Forces Networks (Sussex, Kent and Medway) Conference, 21 January 2020
- ‘Life after cancer and career: education as a resource of hope’: European Society for research on the Education of Adults Conference, 3-6 March 2016
- Defence of the Realm: Mission Angola (BBC, 1996)
- Television and radio news broadcasts in Portuguese during UNAVEM III (Angola, 1996)
- Iraqi television broadcasts from Al Muthanna, 2005
- NATO spokesperson (Rapid Deployable Corps Italy) 2006-2008
- Crown Media training delivered to British Army and NATO forces 2011-2017