Faculty:Faculty of Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care
School:Nursing and Midwifery
Areas of Expertise:
Nursing and midwifery
Geoffrey is a Senior Lecturer in mental health nursing. He worked as a mental health nurse in a medium secure setting and later as a forensic community psychiatric nurse at West London Mental Health, NHS Trust before leaving to work in the university.
Geoffrey initially joined Anglia Ruskin University in 2004 on secondment for one year, and became a full-time Senior Lecturer in Mental Health from 2005. He has acquired various teaching and learning experiences in his role as a Senior Lecturer and Education Champion. Geoffrey is currently the Admissions Tutor for pre-registration mental health nursing, the Module Leader for the Safe Medicate (Medicine calculation) module of the pre-registration nursing curriculum and Mental Health strand lead for the pre-registration nursing curriculum.
Geoffrey has interests in the following areas:
- Culture, diversity and faith in care settings
- Black Minority Ethnic matters
- Spirituality and mental health
- Social inclusion
- Mental health promotion and recovery
- Forensic community mental health nursing
- Teaching and Learning experiences of international and Black Minority Ethnic students in Higher Education Institutions.
- The role of culture in the understanding, uptake and access to mental health services among people from Sub- Saharan African background.
- The role of culture and beliefs in healing: An ethnography within an Inner-City Pentecostal Church (PhD. topic)
All BSc Pre-registration Nursing courses
MSc Research Proposal
MSc Major Project supervision
- Decorate in Philosophy (The role of culture and beliefs in healing: An ethnography within an Inner-City Pentecostal Church) (Anglia Ruskin University)
- MSc Mental Health Interventions (Middlesex University, London)
- B. Ed (Physical Education) (University of Cape Coast, Ghana)
- Diploma in Biology (University of Cape Coast, Ghana)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching and Learning (West London University, London
- RN Mental Health Nursing (London Southbank University)
- APMG-International - Prince2 Foundation Certificate in Project Management
- Whipps Cross Hospital League of Friends - Lester Elliot Bursary award winner for best mental health student
Memberships, editorial boards
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Registered Mental Health Nurse (Nursing Midwifery Council)
- Practice Educator (Nursing Midwifery Council)
Selected recent publications
Amoateng, G., and Wrycraft, N. (2009) Mental health services in the community in Wrycraft, N. (ed) An Introduction to Mental Health Nursing. Maidenhead: OUP/McGraw Hill. Ch 8.
Amoateng, G. (2012) Caring for a person with bipolar disorder in Wrycraft, N (ed.) Mental Health Nursing Case Book. Open University Press. Ch 22
Schafer, T., Amoateng, G., and Wrycraft, N. (2009) An exploratory study of GP perceptions of the impact of a primary care counselling service on their practice. British Journal of Guidance & Counselling, Vol 37, No 1, pages 1-15).