International study for six months or less

The immigration rules for students wishing to study in the UK on a short course have now changed. From 9 a.m. on 1 December 2020, you can apply for a visitor visa or enter the UK as a visitor to study for up to six months.

This applies to those who wish to come for up to six months to do a ‘study abroad’ semester as part of a degree course they are doing overseas.

You are not limited to studying one course.

You have been accepted onto a course of no more than 6 months provided by an accredited UK institution (this cannot be an academy or state-funded school)

You will need to prove you are able to support yourself (and any dependants) during your trip (or have funding from someone else to support you) without working or accessing public funds.

You will be able to pay for your return or onward journey (or have funding from someone else to pay for the journey).

You can also take part in educational exchanges or visits and attend recreational courses that do not lead to a qualification and do not include English Language training. The maximum study period for these courses is 30 days.

In addition to this, if you are at least 16 years old and studying a course equivalent to a UK degree in another country, you may:

• undertake research or be taught about research at Anglia Ruskin University;

• undertake electives at Anglia Ruskin University, but only if you are studying medicine, veterinary medicine and science, or dentistry as your principle course of study, and the electives are relevant to your course of study abroad, are unpaid and do not involve the treatment of patients.

You must already be enrolled on a course that is the equivalent of a UK degree, before applying to do research or a placement in the UK.

To study or research certain subjects, you may need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate. You need to apply for the ATAS certificate before starting your course.

You intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit.

You do not intend to live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK your main home.

Please note: European Economic Area and Swiss nationals who enter the UK before 31 December 2020 do not need a visa. You can enter the UK under the EU Freedom of Movement rules, then apply under the EU Settlement Scheme to remain in the UK from 1 January 2021 onwards). Please email the International Student Advisers at if you would like further advice.