14 March 2022
ARU student Jessica blogs about her reasons for studying BOptom (Hons) Optometry and her plans for the future.
1. From a young age I always had the opportunity to go to eye clinics in hospitals and opticians, since my sister had myopia, commonly known as short-sightedness. From this I was able to see the world of conducting eye tests and dispensing glasses and it greatly fascinated me to pursue it as a career choice.
2. In biology lessons I remember going over the general basic anatomy of the eye and doing a project where I made an eyeball out of clay and labelled all the structures. This highlighted the detail of the eye, which sparked an interest in studying it further. I was even encouraged to do some online courses focussing on poor eyesight and its direct connection to diabetes.
3. Through studying optometry, I have been able to use multiple pieces of equipment such as the slit lamp and the focimeter. In an age of technology, it is exciting to see the use of technology being used to assist the daily practice of an optometrist.
4. The salary is one thing on most people’s mind when deciding what career path to choose. Another reason why I chose Optometry is the potential to earn quite a lot since it's mainly private, but you can also have the option to work for the NHS if desired.
Also, the need for spectacles and contact lenses is always high as approximately 75% of people worldwide need a form of vision correction. This almost guarantees the need for optometrists, and therefore an income.
5. My goal after this degree is to be a full-time optometrist. I would like to help many different people from the elderly to young children.
From first-hand experience I know the importance of treating and providing the right glasses for people and I have seen the effect it can have on someone’s life, so I would like to become competent enough to make a positive change for people who need extra help with their eyesight.
Jessica is studying Optometry at ARU in Cambridge. To find out more about our degree courses and student life at ARU, book your place at an Open Day.