UK/EU undergraduate

If you’re applying to ARU for the first time and you’re from the UK or EU, this information is for you.

If you have any questions about fees and funding, our Money Advice Service offers specialist advice about all aspects of student finance. We also run finance talks at our undergraduate Open Days.

Student loans

If you're from the UK or EU and you're applying to university for the first time, you don't have to pay for your course upfront. You can get a Government loan to help cover the costs.

The two main loans are:

  • a Tuition Fee Loan to cover the cost of your course
  • a Maintenance Loan to help pay for living costs (full-time students only).

There's more information about the loans below.

You can apply for both these loans online. Visit Student Finance England* to get started.

+ Tuition Fee Loan
+ Maintenance Loan
+ ARU undergraduate fees

If you're an EU student starting a course in 2020/21 you will continue to be eligible for student loans and grants for the duration of your course, even if the UK exits the EU during that period. You may also be eligible for our EU Undergraduate Bursary.

*If you live in Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales, you can apply through Student Finance NI, Student Awards Agency for Scotland or Student Finance Wales.


We offer a number of scholarships and bursaries to undergraduate students from the UK and EU. Take a look at what's on offer.

Merit Scholarship

ARU Bursary

EU Bursary

Sport Scholarship

Help with the costs of study

We’re committed to supporting students who are keen to succeed in their studies.

ARU Bursary

Our ARU Bursary is for UK and EU students who have an annual household income of £42,875 or less. It's worth up to £300 per year.

Learning Support Fund

This fund is designed to help eligible students from less well-off households. You can apply for a non-repayable grant from one of the following bursaries, which help with specific aspects of study or student life:

  • Diagnostic assessment/DSA £200 Equipment Top-Up Bursary
  • Technology Enhancement Bursary (PC/laptop etc)
  • UK Field Trip/Placement Travel Bursary
  • Student Enhancement Bursary (for example, conferences, voluntary work, journal subscriptions).

We recommend speaking to our Money Advice Service if you'd like to apply for a grant through the Learning Support Fund. (Current ARU students can apply online.)

GO! International Fund

Our GO! fund can help with the costs of overseas experiences linked to your study, including:

  • overseas placements and internships
  • overseas field trips
  • Study Abroad.

To apply, check the eligibility criteria and complete an application form.

Hardship Fund

We currently have a fund in place to help students already studying at ARU who, through no fault of their own, are experiencing hardship. Eligibility criteria apply, and more details are available from our Money Advice Service.

Grants and allowances

If you get funding from Student Finance England* you may be able to apply for some additional grants and allowances. Some of these are income assessed.

Adult Dependent Grant
Childcare Grant
Parents’ Learning Allowance
Disabled Students’ Allowance
Learning Support Fund for NHS students
Training Grant
Social Work Bursary

*Or Student Finance NI, Student Awards Agency for Scotland or Student Finance Wales if you live in Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales.