Dr Noah Kofi Karley
Associate Professor (building our African links, profile and partnerships)
Faculty:Faculty of Business and Law
School:Economics, Finance and Law
Areas of Expertise:
Business, management and leadership , Economics , International Business , Land law
Dr Karley has been appointed Associate Professor in charge of building our African links, profile and partnership to raise the awareness and profile of the Faculty of Business and Law and ARU within Africa. He has experience of researching property and urban systems from an interdisciplinary (but predominantly economic) perspective. He has particular skills in assembling economic datasets and analysis of housing market data.
Dr Karley obtained an MPhil and PhD in the field of Land Economy from University of Cambridge in 2002. Prior to that, he graduated in 1992 with BA (Hons) degree in Economics and Geography from University of Science and Technology, Ghana. In 1996, he achieved a First Class Master of Commerce in Economics from University of Zululand, South Africa; and in 2001, he obtained a Certificate for International Housing Finance Programme from Wharton School in the University of Philadelphia in the USA. Dr Karley is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, United Kingdom.
He has a great deal of teaching and research experience in different countries including the United Kingdom (Cambridge University and Heriot Watt), South Africa and Ghana. Since March 2006 he has been a regular visiting lecturer to the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics in China. He is a peer reviewer for the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute. In the past he has received research grants from various sources including the Scottish Government, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister of UK (ODPM), and has published research outputs widely in books and peer reviewed journals.
- Property/real estate and urban systems
- Housing finance mechanisms and microfinance systems
- Mortgage Backed Securitisation and debt finance
- Economic growth analysis, particularly of developing economies
- International Trade and Foreign Direct Investment patterns and mechanisms
Areas of research supervision
- Rationalisation of International Trade and Investment Agreements: Case of East African Community
- Housing Finance and Delivery Constraints in Ghana: The case of New Juaben municipality
- An assessment of inclusive growth mechanisms in Nigeria: case study of Orumba Communities
- Impact of economic growth and debt on financial stability: case of selected EU counties
- The impact of sectoral bank lending on economic growth in Nigeria
- A study of the impact of globalisation on economic inequality: A case of Vietnam
- The determinants of FDI inflow into China
- Service logic in bank marketing in Sub Sahara Africa: a case study of Barclays Bank in Ghana
- Impact of economic growth on inequality: an empirical research on South Asia
- Impact of economic growth and debt on financial stability: case of selected ECOWAS countries
- Land administration system and the provision of affordable housing in Ghana
- Transformation towards sustainable living under global education system - international students' experience
- Exploring international students' experience of studying in UK universities: a narrative inquiry of Nigerian students
- Impact of development finance on Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria
Leading the following modules:
- Global business environment and international strategy
- Research methods for business and management
- International trade
- Macroeconomics I and Economics for Managers
- Senior Fellow Higher Education Academy, Anglia Learning and Teaching, UK, 2014
- Postgraduate Certificate for Academic Practice, Heriot Watt University, UK, 2004 - 2005
- PhD Department of Land Economy, University of Cambridge, UK, 1998 - 2002
- Certificate in International Housing Finance Program, Wharton Real Estate Centre, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA, June 2001
- MPhil in Land Economy, University of Cambridge, UK, 1997 - 1998
- Master of Commerce (Econ), First Class, University of Zululand, South Africa, 1994 - 1996
- BA (Hons) (Economics & Geography) 2:1 University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana, 1989 - 1992
Memberships, editorial boards
- Editor in Chief of Journal of Development Advances, since 2021
- Peer Review Panel Member, Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI Housing Research), since 2018
- Executive Committee and editorial board member: West Africa Built Environment Research, since January 2011
- Journal of Housing Studies, since 2010
- Journal of Financial Management for Property and Construction, since 2010
- Journal of Institutional Economics, since 2010
- Associate Member, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), since 2001
- European Network for Housing Research (ENHR): Member since 2001
- International Union for Housing Finance: Associate Member since 2000
Research grants, consultancy, knowledge exchange
- Between 2003 and 2013: Contributed towards various Urban Studies groups’ research contracts and obtained research awards from various sources including Joseph Rowntree Foundation, Scottish Government, ESRC, O.D.P.M. etc. as member of research team at the Institute of Housing, Urban Real Estate Research at Heriot-Watt University, Scotland. These have led to 14 Outputs delivered at conferences and then published in peer reviewed journals and some also entered into various RAE and REFs
- Collaborative research grant of £8,000 in 2012 from KNUST to study students housing quality measurement. Output published in a peer review journal, Urban Study Research, 2013
- Internship Award (2014): UK Homeownership Scheme. Appeared in media including BBC Television, Look East to discuss UK Government housing subsidy scheme
- Received £14,000 from Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors to study Physical Planning and Flooding in Accra, Ghana. 2008
- Received £4,426 from Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors to study Prospects of Ghana real estate market, 2007
- Received £17,500 from Scottish Executive Education Department to assess effect of home ownership on educational attainment of children in deprived neighbourhoods.
Selected recent publications
- Transforming places: Housing investment and neighbourhood market change. York: Joseph Rowntree Foundation, 2007 (ISBN: 978 1 85935 575 6).
- Lending to Higher Risk Borrowers: Sub-prime credit and sustainable home ownership, York: Joseph Rowntree Foundation, 2005 (ISBN 1 85935 334 7) (With M Munro, J. Ford and C Leishman).
- Affordability, need and the intermediate market: Responding to the challenges in pressured regions’, In P Boelhouwer, J. Doling and M Elsing (eds.) Home ownership, Housing & Urban Policy Studies, Delft Printing Press, 2005:95-112, ISBN 0926-6240; 29 0r 90-407-2594-2 (With G. Bramley);
- ‘Home ownership, poverty and educational achievement’, In P Boelhouwer, J. Doling and M Elsing (eds.) Home ownership, Housing & Urban Policy Studies, Delft Printing Press, 2005:161-181, ISBN 0926-6240; 29 0r 90-407-2594-2 (with G. Bramley).
Peer reviewed journals and others
- 'Evaluation of Social Housing Provision programmes in Egypt during 2005-2017' Journal of Housing and the Built Environment, 2022. (with Mohamed Osman, Abd Elwahed El-Sayed and Amr Feteha Hanafy Mahmoud)
- 'Business reforms and ease of doing business in East African community countries' Journal of Business History, 2022 (with John Hogan and Venuste Habimana)
- 'Investigating Finance-Growth Nexus: Further Evidence from Nigeria’, International Journal of Economics and Finance; Vol. 10, No. 9; 2018 ISSN 1916-971XE-ISSN 1916-9728 Published by Canadian Center of Science and Education (With A. Y. Ayebowale).
- 'The Motivations of Microfinance Institutions to enter the Housing Market in a Developing Country' UN Habitat, Forthcoming (2017) (with F. Bondinuba et al)
- 'Assessing the Role of Housing Microfinance in the Low-income' Journal of Poverty, Investment and Development. Vol. 28, 2016
- ‘Determinants of Office Rents in Accra, Ghana’ Housing Finance International Journal, Spring 2016: 24-31, Vol. XXX No. 1. ISSN: 2078-6328
- 'Developing Student Housing Quality Scale in Higher Institutions of Learning: A Factor Analysis Approach', in Urban Studies Research, (2013) (with F. Bondinuba and S.G. Numako).
- ‘Remittances to Ghana: Benefits to the Housing Sector and impact of financial Crisis’’ Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Volume 6, Number 10, October 2012 (Serial Number 59);
- “An outcome-based allocation model for local education services in Wales” Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy 2011, volume 29, pages 848 - 871 (With G Bramley and D Watkins).
- “Flooding and physical planning in urban areas in West Africa: situational analysis of Accra, Ghana”, Theoretical and Empirical Research in Urban Management, Volume No. 4 (13) November, 2009:25-41.
- "Ghana Residential Property Delivery Constraints and Affordability Analysis", Housing Finance International Journal, VolXXII No. 4, June 2008 pp 22-29.
- ‘Home-ownership, Poverty and Educational Achievement: School Effects and Neighbourhood Effects’, Housing Studies, Vol. 22 No. 5, September, 2007:693-722. (with G. Bramley);
- ‘How Much Extra Affordable Housing is needed in England?’ Housing Studies, Vol. 20 N0. 5 September 2005: 685 – 715(with G. Bramley);
- ‘Impediments to Mortgage Borrowing for the Under-Served Urban Household in South Africa’, Journal of Social Development, Vol. 19 No 1 (2004);
- ‘Challenges in Mortgage Lending for the Underserved in South Africa’, Housing Finance International, Vol. XVIII/No.1: 27-33, September 2003;
- 'Alternative Options to Mortgages in Ghana’, Housing Finance International, Vol. XVII /No.2: 26-30, December 2002;
- The Mortgage Backed Securities (MBS) market in the UK: Developments over the last few Years’, Housing Finance International, Vol. XVII/ No. 2: 31-36, December 2002 (with Christine Whitehead);
- Government Investment Growth and Employment in South Africa’, Journal of Social Development, Vol. 15 No 1 (2000).
Recent presentations and conferences
- Presentation of 'Housing for the elderly: Challenges and Solutions' at Kumasi City Hall, Ghana Housing Week Forum, December 2021.
- Delivery of a series of lectures on housing development and finance to Lagos Architects Forum members, organised by the Nigerian Institute of Architects, Lagos State Chapter, December 2021.
- 'Impact of transport cost on housing' at Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Ghana Seminar Series, November 2021
- Organised and hosted an Interdisciplinary Collaborative Research Conference with Special Relevance to Developing Countries on behalf of ARU at Hughes Hall, Cambridge, 2017. The conference was attended by participants from over 16 different countries.
- Presented a paper and at a Seminar in Copenhagen Business School, Copenhagen, Denmark, International event, February 2017. Topic of presentation: 'UK Options Outside the EU'
- Presented a paper on 'Implications of Financial Instability and Public Debt on Economic Growth' at the 2016 Global Development Finance Conference and
- Presented a paper on 'Service Logic in Bank Marketing in Sub Saharan Africa: case of Barclays Bank Ghana' at the 2016 Global Development Finance Conference and Networking Cocktail event from 22 - 24 November 2016 at the Gateway Hotel in Durban, South Africa (with Nathaniel Owusu-Frimpong)
- Presented a paper on ‘Determinants of Office Rents in Accra, Ghana’ during the West Africa Built Environment Research Conference in Accra from 10-12 August 2015.
- Participated in a discussion as a guest speaker at a seminar organised by the Urban Land Institute Asia Pacific on the topic The New ‘Normal’ and the Real Estate Market, on 7th April 2015. The venue was the 11F PWC Centre 2, Corporate Avenue 202 HuBin Road Huangpu, Shanghai, China.
- Presented a lecture series on real estate development to CONSTRAD 2013 – The International Trade Show and Expo, Lantana & Orchid Halls, Expo Centre of Eko Hotel & Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria.
- Presented a series of lectures to Lagos Architects Forum 2013 organized by the Nigerian Institute of Architects, Lagos State Chapter, the Jasmine and Zinnia Halls, Expo Centre of the Eko Hotel & Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos.
- Presented a paper on “Remittances to Ghana: Benefits to the Housing Sector and impact of financial Crisis”, West Africa Built Environment Research (WABER) Conference, Accra 19-20 July 2011.
Quoted in January 2014 in the Cambridge Evening News on economic issues facing the city of Cambridge; ‘City’s success story but at what price?’.
Interviewed by BBC Look East on ‘Help to Buy Scheme’ when the Prime Minister visited Bedford to promote the scheme.
On 18 March 2014 speaking about the March 2014 Budget implication for Home Ownership aspiration.
Cambridge Evening News coverage of contribution in a story date 15 August 2014 on Time spent by people buying a home.
Quoted in August 2014 in the Cambridge Evening News about impact of cost of living on causing families to cut down on food to pay for food.