As Wing Commander Mike Almond QVRM AE MRAeS DM FRCP RAuxAF, Mike has a clinical research background with over 70 peer reviewed publications. As a Reservist and through his involvement with the Veterans Advisory Pensions Committee, Mike also has an interest in veterans and their families.
Follow Mike on Twitter @ProfMikeAlmond
Mike has been appointed Professor of Veterans & Families Studies at the Veterans & Families Research Hub. The Forces in Mind Trust (FiMT) sponsor ARU to run the Hub to carry out research. Ongoing projects include translating the findings of recent research commissioned by FiMT into plain language, insights that can be practically applied and understood by organisations that support veterans and their families.
The Forces in Mind Trust (FiMT) Research Centre offers easy access to UK and international research on veterans and their families. It works to develop and strengthen links between the academic community, government organisations, statutory and voluntary service providers, the media and the public, including the whole Armed Forces community.
Away from ARU, Mike sits on the Essex County Council Civilian Military Partnership Board, and the steering committee of the Colchester TiLS service. This service eases the transition of regular serving personnel with mental health problems into the community and the NHS.
Mike has also been a Reservist since 1977. His most recent deployment in 2018 was to South Sudan supporting the United Nations’ Mission there. He has three current reservist roles. The first is with SO1 Med Reserves, which is designed to support the policy, manning and deployment of the RAF Reserves medical component. The second is as a consultant at RAF Henlow in the Aviation Medical Clinical Service, seeing aircrew with medical problems with the aim to keep them flying. And finally, supporting the RAF Aeromedical Service of TMW (Tactical Medical Wing) at RAF Brize Norton.
Mike has been mobilised four times, serving on operations in the Gulf, twice as an aeromedical evacuation officer and in Afghanistan as a physician in Camp Bastion.
- Better informed public; Armed Forces community, politicians, policy makers and media
- The underpinning of relevant policy and service provision by research
- A stronger and more coherent network of academic partners
- Improved networking and knowledge sharing among participants
- A more coherent understanding of research coverage and gaps
- Recognition of excellence in research
Areas of research supervision
Mike will consider supervising students interested in any of his areas of interest (see above).
- BMedSci, BM, BS, DM, FRCP
Memberships, editorial boards
Associate editor, Clinical Medicine (Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of London)
Research grants, consultancy, knowledge exchange
NIH RfPB, £150,000, 2015. A Randomised Controlled Trial of Anakinra vs. Steroids for Gout Attacks in patients with Renal Disease (ASGARD): a feasibility study (NIHR Portfolio study).
Selected recent publications
- Sridharan S, Vilar E, Davenport A, Ashman N, Almond M, Banerjee A, Roberts J, Farrington K. Indexing dialysis dose for gender, body size and physical activity: Impact on survival. PLoS One. 2018 Sep 7;13(9):e0203075. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0203075. eCollection 2018.
- Harnett P, Jones M, Almond M, Ballasubramaniam G, Kunnath V. A virtual clinic to improve long-term outcomes in chronic kidney disease. Clin Med (Lond). 2018 Oct;18(5):356-363. doi: 10.7861/clinmedicine.18-5-356.
- Posselt BN, Greenhalgh AM, Almond MK. 100 years of the Royal Air Force's contribution to medicine: providing care in the air and delivering care by air.Clin Med (Lond). 2018 Aug;18(4):297-300. doi: 10.7861/clinmedicine.18-4-297.
- Chilcot J, Almond MK, Guirguis A, Friedli K, Day C, Davenport A, Wellsted D, Farrington K. Self-reported depression symptoms in haemodialysis patients: Bi-factor structures of two common measures and their association with clinical factors. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2018 Aug 17;54:31-36. doi: 10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2018.08.007. [Epub ahead of print]
- Davenport A, Guirguis A, Almond M, Day C, Chilcot J, Da Silva Gane M, Fineberg N, Friedl K, Spencer B, Wellsted D, Farrington K.Post-dialysis recovery time is extended in patients with greater self-reported depression screening questionnaire scores. Hemodial Int. 2018 Feb 20. doi: 10.1111/hdi.12642
- Balasubramaniam G, Parker T, Turner D, Parker M, Scales J, Harnett P, Harrison M, Ahmed K, Bhagat S, Marianayagam T, Pitzalis C, Mallen C, Roddy E, Almond M, Dasgupta B. Feasibilty randomised multicentre double-blind double dummy controlled trial of anakinra an interleukin-1 receptor antagonist versus intramuscular methylprednisolone for acute gout attacks in patients with chronic kidney disease (ASGARD) prtoco study. BMJ Open. 2017 Sep 5;7(9):e017121. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2017-017121.
- Chilcot J, Guirguis A, Friedli K, Almond M, Day C, Da Silva-Gane M, Davenport A, Fineberg NA, Spencer B, Wellsted D, Farrington K. Depression Symptoms in Haemodialysis Patients Predict All-Cause Mortality but Not Kidney Transplantation: A Cause-Specific Outcome Analysis. Ann Behav Med. 2017 Jul 31. doi: 10.1007/s12160-017-9918-9
- Brocklebank V, Johnson S, Sheerin TP, Marks SD, Gilbert RD, Tyerman K, Kinoshita M, Awan A, Kaur A, Webb N, Hegde S, Finlay E, Fitzpatrick M, Walsh PR, Wong EKS, Booth C, Kerecuk L, Salama AD, Almond M, Inward C, Goodship TH, Sheerin NS, Marchbank KJ, Kavanagh D. Factor H autoantibody is associated with atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome in children in the United Kingdom and Ireland. Kidney Int. 2017 Jul 24. pii: S0085-2538(17)30323-X. doi: 10.1016/j.kint.2017.04.028.
- Chilcot J, Guirguis A, Friedli K, Almond M, Davenport A, Day C, Wellsted D, Farrington K. Measuring Fatigue Using the Multidimensional Fatigue Inventory-20: A Questionable Factor Structure in Haemodialysis Patients. Nephron. 2017 Feb 28. doi: 10.1159/000458770. [Epub ahead of print]
- Friedli K, Guirguis A, Almond M, Day C, Chilcot J, Da Silva-Gane M, Davenport A, Fineberg NA, Spencer B, Wellsted D, Farrington K. Sertraline Versus Placebo in Patients with Major Depressive Disorder Undergoing Hemodialysis: A Randomized, Controlled Feasibility Trial. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017 Feb 7;12(2):280-286. doi: 10.2215/CJN.02120216.
- Sridharan S, Vilar E, Davenport A, Ashman N, Almond M, Banerjee A, Roberts J, Farrington K. Scaling Hemodialysis Target Dose to Reflect Body Surface Area, Metabolic Activity, and Protein Catabolic Rate: A Prospective, Cross-sectional Study. Am J Kidney Dis. 2017 Mar;69(3):358-366.
- Balasubramaniam GS, Arenas-Hernandez M, Escuredo E, Fairbanks L, Marinaki T, Mapplebeck S, Sheaff M, Almond MK. Adenine phosphoribosyltransferase deficiency in the United Kingdom: two novel mutations and a cross-sectional survey. Clin Kidney J. 2016 Dec;9(6):800-806.
- Gupta A, Logan J, Elhag N, Almond MK. Sphingobacterium spiritivorum infection in a patient with end stage renal disease on haemodialysis. Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob. 2016 Apr 18;15:25. doi: 10.1186/s12941-016-0141-5.
- Almond MK. Professor Eric G.L. Bywaters, Acute Kidney Injury and the "forgotten" Letter. G Ital Nefrol 2016; 33 (S66): 1-3
- Friedli K, Almond M, Day C, Chilcot J, Da Silva Gane M, Davenport A, Guirguis A, Fineberg N, Spencer B, Wellsted D, Farrington K. A study of sertraline in dialysis (ASSertID): a protocol for a pilot randomised controlled trial of drug treatment for depression in patients undergoing haemodialysis. BMC Nephrol. 2015 Oct 26;16(1):172
- Balasubramaniam G, Almond M and Dasgupta B. Improved renal function in diabetic patients with acute gout treated with anakinra. Kidney Int. 2015 Jul;88(1):195-196
- Wileman V, ChilcotJ, Armitage CJ, Farrington K, Wellsted DM, Norton S, Davenport A, Franklin G, Da Silva Gane M, Horn RF, Almond M. Evidence of improved fluid management in patients receiving haemodialysis following a self-affirmation theory based intervention: a randomised controlled trial. Psychology and Health. 2015 DOI:10.1080/08870446.2015.1073729
- Wileman V, Farrington K, Wellsted D, Almond M, Davenport A, Chilcot J. Medication beliefs are associated with phosphate binder non-adherence in hyperphosphatemic haemodialysis patients. Br J Health Psychol. 2014 Sep 11. doi: 10.1111/bjhp.12116.
- Wileman V, Farrington K, Chilcot J, Norton S, Wellsted DM, Almond MK, Davenport A, Franklin G, Gane MD, Armitage CJ. Evidence That Self-Affirmation Improves Phosphate Control in Hemodialysis Patients: A Pilot Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial. Ann Behav Med. 2014 Feb 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Anandagoda N, Almond MK. Supporting Patient Choice For Thirty Years Of Renal Replacement Therapy. Br J Renal Med. 2014; Vol 19 No 4, pp. 27-30
- Morjaria A, Balasubramaniam G, Perera S, Almond MK. Rapidly developing renal milk of calcium in a patient with myelomonocytic leukaemia. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine Open. 2014;5(7), pp. 1–2
Recent presentations and conferences
Association of Service Physicians – Sandhurst Military College Nov 2018
Trained by the Military