Dr Esther Norton
Areas of Expertise:
Esther's area of expertise is engineering education and innovative curriculum design. She is passionate about designing curricula which attract a diverse spectrum of people by reflecting the holistic nature of engineering and highlighting the environmental, societal and ethical implications of engineering projects as much as the technical.
After completing a doctorate in geotechnical engineering at the University of Sheffield, Esther worked as a civil engineering academic at a university in the North of Chile. Since being at ARU, Esther has completely redesigned the engineering undergraduate curricula, so our courses develop the professional skills that engineers need to tackle 21st century challenges.
As Assistant Principal at ARU Peterborough, she is part of the team launching the new university. She manages the health, education, social work, biomedical science, agritech, construction, environmental management and engineering courses. This is an incredibly exciting project and it will make such a big difference to Peterborough.
- Engineering education
- Equality, diversity and inclusivity in higher education
- Landfill Engineering
- Soil Liquefaction
Areas of research supervision
- BEng(Hons) Civil Engineering, MSc Civil Engineering and Degree Apprenticeship Civil Engineering
- Geotechnics and Maths
- BEng(Hons) Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Newcastle upon Tyne
- PhD Geotechnical University, University of Sheffield
Memberships, editorial boards
- CEng, Member of Institution of Engineering and Technology
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy