Dr Dongmei Cao
Senior Lecturer in Management
Faculty:Faculty of Business and Law
Areas of Expertise:
Business Administration , Business Management , Business, management and leadership , Information and communications technology , Organisational Behaviour , Research methodology , Sustainability , Strategy , Tourism , Work engagement
Dr Dongmei Cao is a Senior Lecturer, supervising DBA/PhD candidates. She actively researches in sustainability, innovation and technology, with extensive teaching experience in strategy, international business and decision-making.
Dr Dongmei Cao is an Assistant Professor (Senior Lecturer) in strategy at ARU having attained my doctoral degree in International Business and Social at Coventry University. She has previously worked for several universities in China as a lecturer and senior lecturer.
As an active researcher, she serves a wider research community e.g. as a member of BAM Review College, Associate Editor for the Journal of Marketing for Higher Education and chairing international conference sessions.
Dongmei is interested in research relevant to sustainability, which incorporates with business innovation and technology applications for achieving sustainability in TBL (Triple Bottom Line).
Areas of research supervision
Dongmei currently supervises 10 DBA students who's research covers a broad area in management including digital transformation and logistics, supply chain and agility, healthcare and quality management, social media and policy, social media marketing in hospitality and consumer behaviour.
Dongmei has previously taught literature review and quantitative methods for DBA courses. She also has extensive teaching experience in strategy, international business, decision making, risk management, business analytics to UG, PG and PhD/DBA students.
Memberships, editorial boards
- BAM Member
- Member of BAM Peer Review College
- Associate Editor: Journal of Marketing for Higher Education
Research grants, consultancy, knowledge exchange
- National Social Science Foundation of China 2019 (19BJL039). Project: Modelling agriculture collaborative ecosystem for sustainability performance in the digital era. Date: 2019-2022. Total Funding: RMD200,000. Role: Co-Investigator
- Internal Pump Prime Research Grant 2017-2018. Project: Consumer behaviour in luxury products and tourism: Impulse shopping and revisit intention. Date: 12/2017 - 12/2018. Total Funding: £9,800. Role: Principal Investigator.
Selected recent publications
- Luo, X., Cao, D., Tjahjono, B., and Adegobile, A. (2022). Business model innovation themes of emerging market enterprises: Evidence in China. Journal of Business Research, 139, pp.1619-1630.
- Cao, D., Sun, Y., Goh, E., Wang, R., and Kuiavska, K. (2022). Adoption of Smart Voice Assistants Technology among Airbnb Guests: A Revised Self-Efficacy-Based Value Adoption Model (SVAM). International Journal of Hospitality Management,101, pp.103124.
- Cao, D., Wang, Y., Berkeley, N., and Tjahjono, B. (2021). Configurational conditions and sustained competitive advantage: A fsQCA approach. Long Range Planning, pp.102131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lrp.2021.102131
- Cao, D., Gupta, S., Lim, M. K., Dhir, A., Li, Z., and Schiavone, F. (2021). Consumers’ role in addressing plastic pollution. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 169, 105473. (Impact Factor:10.204)
- Sun, Y., Wang, R., Cao, D., and Lee, R. (2021). Who are social media influencers for luxury fashion consumption of the Chinese Gen Z? Categorisation and empirical examination. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management. https://doi.org/10.1108/JFMM-07-2020-0132.
- Zhang, L., Chen, F., Xia, S., Cao, D., Ye, Z., Shen, C., Maas, G., and Li, Y. (2021). Value co-creation and appropriation of platform-based alliances in cooperative advertising. Industrial Marketing Management, 96, pp.213-225.
- Rezaei, M., Jafari-Sadeghi, V., Cao, D., and Amoozad Mahdiraji, H. (2021). Key indicators of ethical challenges in digital healthcare: Delphi exploration and CFA validation. Technological Forecasting and Social Change. 167,120724.
- Adegbile, A., Sarpong, D., and Cao, D. (2021). Understanding industry-university collaborations in emerging economies: A legitimacy perspective. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, pp.1-13. DOI:10.1109/TEM.2021.3050859.
- Cao, D., Meadows, M., Wong, D., and Xia, S. (2021). Understanding consumers’ social media engagement behaviour: An examination of the moderation effect of social media context. Journal of Business Research,122, pp.835-846.
- Li, H., Wu, Y., Cao, D., and Wang, Y. (2021). Organizational mindfulness towards digital transformation as a prerequisite of information processing capability to achieve market agility. Journal of Business Research, 122, pp.700-712. (ABS3)
- Yang, X., Cao, D., Chen, J., Xiao, Z., and Daowd, A. (2020). AI and IoT based collaborative business ecosystem: A case in Chinese fish farming industry. International Journal of Technology Management, 82(2), pp.151-171.
- Yang, X., Cao, D., Andrikopoulos, P., Yang, Z., and Bass, T. (2020). Online Social Networks, Media Supervision and Investment Efficiency: An empirical examination of Chinese listed companies. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 154, pp.119969.
- Xiong, A., Xia, S., Ye, Z.P., Cao, D., Jing, Y., and Li, H. (2020). Can innovation really bring economic growth? The role of social filter in China. Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,53, pp.50-61.
- Liliani, L., Tjahjono, B., and Cao, D. (2020) Advancing bioplastic packaging products through co-innovation: a conceptual framework for supplier-customer collaboration. Journal of Cleaner Production, 252, pp.119861. (Impact Factor: 9.297)
- Xia, S., Xiong, Y., Zhang, M., Cornford, J., Liu, Y., Lim, M.K., Cao, D., and Chen, F. (2020). Reducing the Resource Acquisition Costs for Returnee Entrepreneurs: Role of Chinese National Science Parks, International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research, 26 (7), pp. 1627-1657.
- Cao, D., Tao, H., Wang, Y., Tarhini, A., and Xia, S. (2019). Acceptance of Automation Manufacturing Technology in China: An Examination of Perceived Norm and Organizational Efficacy. Production Planning and Control, 31(8), pp.660-672.
Recent presentations and conferences
- Liliani, L., Tjahjono, B., & Cao, D. (2021). The Mechanisms of Co-innovation in the Development of Bioplastic Packaging: Evidence from Practice. 2021 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management (IEEM), 13-16 Dec. 2021. DOI: 10.1109/IEEM50564.2021.9673076
- Parallel Session Chair. The 12th CEA (Europe) and 31st Chinese Economic Association (CEA (UK) Annual Conference, 12th and 13th December 2020, Online.
- Executive Board and Track Chair. The 4th International Conference of Marketing, Strategy & Policy (MSP) on Building Resilient Business Models, held online by the University of Newcastle, UK on 9-11th December 2020.
- Session chair. International Conference on Digital Healthcare Analysis (DHA2020), 25 Jul 2020, Beijing, China.
- Mini-track chair. International Conference on Digital Healthcare Analysis (DHA2019), 23-25 Aug 2019, Zhengzhou, China
- Expert speaker. The conference symposium on Digital Technology and Management Transformation, 13-15 December 2019, Shaoxing, China