Dr Bachchu Kaini
Faculty:Faculty of Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care
School:School of Allied Health
Bachchu has research and teaching expertise in clinical leadership, leadership in health and social care, strategic management in healthcare, financial management for healthcare managers, healthcare marketing, healthcare governance and quality improvement in healthcare.
Bachchu is a Senior Lecturer in Healthcare Management and Leadership. He has more than thirty years of experience in managing and leading health services in the UK and Nepal. Prior to joining the ARU, he was working as a Senior Manager for an NHS Hospital in London, where he worked as a member of various committees, chaired senior level committee meetings and lead a team of healthcare professionals and staff.
He worked more than fifteen years for the NHS Trusts/Hospitals as Clinical Effectiveness Manager, Clinical Audit Manager, Clinical Governance Manager, Quality and Governance Manager, Senoir Manager etc. He worked for primacy care, community services and acute hospitals within the NHS. Some of his other roles in the health services include Chief Executive Officer of a private hospital in Nepal, Consultant of USAID’s Strengthening System for Better Health in Nepal, Head of Operations of a tertiary care hospital, Programme Officer of an NGO etc.
In the past, Bachchu worked as an Associate Lecturer of Healthcare Management and Leadership for Arden University, London and Greenwich School of Management, London and Associate Professor and Visiting Professor of Healthcare Management for National Open College, affiliated to Pokhara University, Nepal. He has gained experience to develop curriculum and syllabus for post-graduate and undergraduate levels in healthcare management during his academic career. He also worked as a Co-ordinator of the PG School of Healthcare Management. He is an author of three books in healthcare management and published more than a dozen of articles in international journals. He supervised doctoral and post graduate students in the past.
Bachchu’s teaching and research interests include:
- Interprofessional collaboration in healthcare
- Healthcare leadership
- Strategic management
- Accounting, financial management and marketing
- Healthcare governance, clinical audit and clinical effectiveness
- Patient safety
Areas of Expertise:
Healthcare Leadership and Management, Clinical Governance, Interprofessional Working, Decision Making in Healthcare, Strategic Management in Healthcare, Healthcare Marketing and Financial Management for Health Services
- PhD (2015) - Interprofessional Working in Hospitals, The University of Greenwich, London
- PG in Healthcare Management/MHA (2002), Indian Institute of Health Management and Research University, Jaipur, India
- MBA (Financial Management), BL (International Law), BEd (Curriculum Development and Mathematics) – Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Certificate in Clinical Audit in Health and Social Care (2008) - RPD, Accredited by the University of Greenwich
Selected recent publications
- Kaini, B.K., 2005. Handbook of Accounting and Financial Management for Healthcare Managers. Kathmandu: Makalu Books. (ISBN: 99946–679-3-9).
- Kaini, B.K., 2005. Principles of Hospital Management. Kathmandu: Makalu Books. (ISBN: 99933-734-9-4).
- Kaini, B.K., 2017. Interprofessional Working in Hospitals; The Case of Nepal. Lambert Academic Publishing. (ISBN: 978-620-2-06985-4)
Kaini, B.K. and Kaini, S., 2020 Professional Power in Health Care. Global Journal of Medical Research (K),20(12). Online ISSN: 2249-4618 & Print ISSN: 0975-5888
Kaini, B.K., 2019. Clinical Governance for Improving Quality of Healthcare; Global Journal of Medical Research (K),19(5). Online ISSN: 2249-4618 & Print ISSN: 0975-5888
- Kaini, B.K., 2016. Interprofessional Team Collaboration in Health Care. Global Journal of Medical Research (K),17(2).
- Kaini, B.K., 2016. Service Users’ Involvement and Engagement in Interprofessional Care. Journal of Nepal Medical Association, 55(104), p.103-106.
- Kaini, B.K., Veersma, U. and Burke, L., 2016. Interprofessional working: Perceptions of healthcare professionals in Nepalese hospitals. Global Journal of Medical Research (K), 16(1), 5 – 11.
- Kaini, B.K., 2015. Interprofessional care and role of team leaders. Journal of Nepal Medical Association, 53(197), p.40-44.
- Kaini, B.K., 2013. Healthcare governance for accountability and transparency. Journal of Nepal Health Research Council, 11(23), p.109-111
Recent presentations and conferences
- Kaini, B.K. and Veersma, U., 2012. Health care professionals around the bed: Interprofessional care and collaborative practice in NHS hospitals. Paper presentation at ‘Improving Peoples Performance in Healthcare Seminar’ Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 28 September 2012.
- Kaini, B.K., 2015. Interprofessional working in hospitals: The Case of Nepal. Paper presented at ‘International Conference on Hospital Management’ Kathmandu, Nepal on 11th July 2015.