Choose your university and course
With over 37,000 courses to choose from, at around 395 universities and colleges, you might be wondering where to start. You’ve got a big decision to make and with so many options it’s a good idea to pin down exactly what you want from your university experience.
Before you choose
- Talk to a careers/guidance adviser.
- Visit www.ucas.com to get more information and compare the courses and universities that interest you. When you apply, you can select up to five choices.
- Do a keyword search on UCAS – if there’s a specific course title or course combination you want to do, type it directly into the UCAS course finder engine.
- Do your research carefully – check out university websites, as well as UCAS, so you get a real feel for the place.
- Consider the course content and not just its title – English at one university is not the same as English at another university.
- Check the entry requirements – will you need specific subjects (including GCSEs) or work experience? Are you on track to achieve the grades you need?
- Attend university open days – see our handy checklist for suggestions on things you could ask about. If you're considering ARU, we'd love to see you at one of our undergraduate Open Days.
- Get advice from friends, family and school staff – but don't forget the ultimate choice is yours.
- Try to get to a UCAS HE Fair where you can pick up prospectuses from lots of different universities and speak with their representatives.
- Have you chosen courses with a range of entry requirements? Try to maximise your chances by making your ‘Insurance’ option a course with lower grade requirements than your ‘Firm’ choice.
- Think about a range of universities with different entry requirements.
- Above all you should be comfortable with your choices: it's all about finding the 'best fit' for you.
"When considering university make sure that the course content has everything you're looking for [and] that the university gives you the chance to enhance your knowledge through voluntary work or placements."
LLB (Hons) Law
Why choose ARU
We're ranked as one of the top 350 universities in the world, and our final-year students have rated us highly in the National Student Survey.
Add to that our world-leading research and multi-million pound facilities, and we're sure that ARU is a place where you can realise your ambitions.