Apprenticeship CertHE Quantity Surveying / BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying Construction Quantity Surveying Technician / Surveyor

Information for employers

Attract new staff or develop existing employees with our Construction Quantity Surveyor Apprenticeship pathway: a cost-effective way to train professionally qualified Construction Quantity Surveying Technicians and Construction Quantity Surveyors for your organisation.  

The pathway starts with our level 4 Construction Quantity Surveying Technician Apprenticeship, and upon successful completion, and dependant on your business needs, enables progression to our level 6 Construction Quantity Surveyor Degree Apprenticeship. 

A man with glasses sits in front a computer screen showing data smiling at the camera

Build your QS talent pipeline

Develop early career talent into fully qualified Construction Quantity Surveying Technicians and Construction Quantity Surveyors with our Apprenticeship pathway. Designed by employers, our programmes balance business education with practical, real-time learning in the workplace. Apprentices develop a full range of knowledge, skills and behaviours to take on these key roles and bring skills, expertise and professional practice to your organisation. 

Who is this apprenticeship pathway for? 


The Construction Quantity Surveying Technician Apprenticeship will develop talent for roles including Assistant Quantity Surveyor, Assistant Construction Surveyor, Quantity Surveying Technician, Assistant Cost Engineer or Assistant Cost Analyst. Apprentices will develop the key skills, knowledge and behaviours associated with the monitoring and control of costs and contracts on construction projects. 

Upon successful completion and in-line with your business requirements, apprentices will then have the option to progress to our RICS Accredited Construction Quantity Surveyor Degree Apprenticeship and develop the full range of skills to oversee the financial and legal management of construction projects. This level 6 apprenticeship will develop talent for roles including Quantity Surveyor, Construction Surveyor, Construction Cost Consultant, Cost Engineer, Cost Analyst, Cost Manager, Project Cost Co-ordinator, Project Cost Controller, Cost Planner or Commercial Manager.  

You may wish to create a new role within your organisation to attract fresh talent or to develop your existing staff. 

Capabilities to better your business 

A cost-effective way to develop and retain talent 

Apprenticeships are a smart investment. You can reinvest Apprenticeship Levy funds to cover the cost of an apprenticeship, or receive funding support from the government.

If you operate in England and your annual payroll is over £3 million, you pay a levy of 0.5% of your payroll into a levy account. 

The cost of the Construction Quantity Surveying Technician programme for levy paying employers is £9,000 and the cost for the Construction Quantity Surveyor Degree Apprenticeship is £18,000. This can be covered in full using the non-refundable funds in your levy account. If you exhaust the funds in your levy account, then the government will pay 95% of the outstanding fees and you will need to pay the remaining 5%.

If your organisation is not required to pay the levy, you will pay only 5% of the cost of the apprenticeship programme while the government pays the remaining 95%. The cost of the of the Construction Quantity Surveying Technician programme for non-levy paying employers is just £450 and the cost for the Construction Quantity Surveyor Degree Apprenticeship is just £900. 
For more about the Apprenticeship Levy, and to find out about any additional incentive payments for hiring a new apprentice from the government, please visit the key information section on our Degree apprenticeships for employers page.  
 
Our team of dedicated consultants can talk you through the detail. 

Delivered by experts through term-time day release 

The Construction Quantity Surveying Technician Apprenticeship is delivered over two years, plus up to six months for the End Point Assessment.

The Construction Quantity Surveyor Degree Apprenticeship is delivered over three years, plus up to six months for the End Point Assessment.

At least 20% of apprentices contracted hours will be classed as ‘off the job’. This time will be dedicated to developing the knowledge and skills needed to meet the requirements of the apprenticeship, and therefore is not part of their usual work duties.

The off-the-job learning is gained through university-led learning sessions and activities, and practical learning experiences in the usual work setting.

Apprentices will attend term-time day release sessions at our Chelmsford campus, or at ARU Peterborough, led by sector specialists and practitioners.

What are the entry requirements?  

As an employer your business sets out the person specifications for the roles, but the apprentice will need to meet our entry requirements to be accepted onto a course. You can view the full entry requirements on the Construction Quantity Surveying Technician and Construction Quantity Surveyor apprentice course pages. 

Our team of dedicated consultants can talk you through the detail. 

Don't just take our word for it...

Construction Quantity Surveying Technician - visit the apprentice course page for full course details
Construction Quantity Surveyor - visit the apprentice course page for full course details

Industry recognised professional accreditation

RICS Accredited Course Logo

Accredited by RICS

Our Construction Quantity Surveyor Degree Apprenticeship is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). RICS is the world's leading professional body for qualifications and standards in land, property, infrastructure and construction. The RICS accreditation is a recognised qualification and a benchmark of professional competence. 

Helping you find the right apprentice

Woman smiling iStock image 498941586

Recruitment support

Our dedicated apprenticeship team is on hand to help you attract the best candidates for your organisation. We can help with:

  • Crafting job advertisements
  • Promoting your vacancy to our registered and targeted candidate mailing list
  • Adding your vacancy to the National Apprenticeship Service ‘Find an Apprenticeship’ on your behalf
  • Sharing opportunities across our social media channels.

Our consultants will also be happy to support you in determining the suitability of the candidates you receive.

Next steps

If you'd like to know more about the apprenticeship, have a current employee in mind or are thinking of recruiting an apprentice for your business, our designated team of experts are here to support you at every step. Get in touch today.