UK/EU undergraduate

If you’re applying to Anglia Ruskin for the first time and you’re from the UK or EU, this information is for you.

If you have any questions about fees and funding, our Money Advice Service is on hand to offer specialist advice about all aspects of student finance. 

We also run finance talks at our undergraduate Open Days, and our recent Facebook Live session answers questions about finance from individual students.

Tuition fees

If you're from the UK or EU and you're applying to university for the first time, you don't have to pay for your course upfront. You can can get a Government loan to pay your tuition fees.

You can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan that’ll cover the cost of your course. Visit Student Finance England* to get started.

The money is paid directly to your university every semester. You won’t have to repay anything until the April after you graduate, and even then you’ll only pay 9% of any earnings over £25,000 a year (for students who took out loans from September 2012 onward).

The UK Government has confirmed that EU students starting a course in 2019/20 will continue to be eligible for student loans and grants for the duration of their course even if the UK exits the EU during that period. As an EU student, you may also be eligible for our EU Undergraduate Bursary.

If you'd rather not take out a Tuition Fee Loan, you can pay your tuition fees directly to your university.

As well as a Tuition Fee Loan, you may be eligible for a Maintenance Loan, which helps with living costs, and a number of non-repayable grants. Our Money Advice Service is on hand to help you work out what you financial support you might be eligible for. 

Part-time students

You can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan if you’re studying more than  a quarter (25% intensity) of a full-time course each year.

Your tuition fee will depend on the intensity of your course. So if you’re studying half a full-time course each year (50% intensity), you’ll pay half of the full-time course fee each year for six years, rather than the usual three.

ARU undergraduate fees  

Specific fees are available on each course page, but a general guide is:

  • £9,250 a year for a course leading to a degree (eg BA, BSc, LLB)
  • £7,500 a year for a foundation degree (eg FdA, FdSc) or a Higher National Diploma/Certificate (eg HND, HNC)
  • £9,250 a year to study for an ARU degree from the London School of Osteopathy
  • £7,750 a year to study for an ARU degree at University Centre Peterborough
  • £8,240 a year to study for an ARU degree at University Centre West Anglia
  • If none of the above apply to you, check individual course pages for details of fees.

As well as tuition fees, there may be some extra, course-specific costs. You'll find details in the 'Fees and funding' section of individual course pages.

Future changes to fees

Tuition fees paid by UK and EU students are capped by the UK Government. Every year, we take account of that gap when setting our fees. Currently, the cap is £9,250.

The cap may be increased in future years by an inflationary amount to be determined each year by the UK Government. Your tuition fees for future academic years may therefore be higher than the current cap of £9,250 – but they won't increase beyond the maximum amount that the Government allows us to charge UK or EU undergraduate students in any given year. For example, if the Government increases the cap to £9,500 for the 2018-2019 academic year (illustrative example only), you will not be charged any more than £9,500.

We'll let you know about any rise in tuition fees before the start of the academic year to which the increase applies. You won't be obliged to continue with your course if you don't wish to pay the increased fees.

Fees for students starting the academic year 2016/17 and before will remain the same for the duration of their course.

*If you live in Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales, you can apply through Student Finance NI, Student Awards Agency for Scotland or Student Finance Wales.

Living costs

You could receive support to help pay for living costs while you're studying.

Living costs includes things like accommodation, food and travel. You can apply for a Maintenance Loan from the Government to help with these. 

It’s also worth looking into part-time work and other funding, such as scholarships.

Maintenance Loan


We offer a number of scholarships and bursaries to undergraduate students from the UK and EU. Take a look at what's on offer for the 2019/20 academic year below.

Merit Scholarship

ARU Bursary

EU Undergraduate Bursary

Sport Scholarship

Help with the costs of study

We’re committed to supporting students who are keen to succeed in their studies.

ARU Bursary

Our ARU Bursary is is for UK and EU students who have an annual household income of £42,875 or less. It's worth up to £300 per year.

Learning Support Fund

This fund is designed to help eligible students from less well-off households. You can apply for a non-repayable grant from one of the following bursaries, which help with specific aspects of study or student life:

  • Diagnostic assessment/DSA £200 Equipment Top-Up Bursary
  • Technology Enhancement Bursary (PC/laptop etc)
  • UK Field Trip/Placement Travel Bursary
  • Student Enhancement Bursary (for example, conferences, voluntary work, journal subscriptions).

We recommend speaking to our Money Advice Service if you'd like to apply for a grant through the Learning Support Fund. (Current ARU students can apply online.)

GO! International Fund

Our GO! fund can help with the costs of overseas experiences linked to your study, including:

  • overseas placements and internships
  • overseas field trips
  • Study Abroad.

To apply, check the eligibility criteria and complete an application form.

Hardship Fund

We currently have a fund in place to help students already studying at ARU who, through no fault of their own, are experiencing hardship. Eligibility criteria apply, and more details are available from our Money Advice Service.

Grants and allowances

If you get funding from Student Finance England* you may be able to apply for some additional grants and allowances. Some of these are income assessed.

Adult Dependent Grant
Childcare Grant
Parents’ Learning Allowance
Disabled Students’ Allowance
Learning Support Fund for NHS students
Social Work Bursary

*Or Student Finance NI, Student Awards Agency for Scotland or Student Finance Wales if you live in Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales.