Frequently asked questions
Please be sure to read our frequently asked questions before booking a session with us.
Do I need to see my GP before I book?
There are two aspects which are central to our services:
- Your health and safety
- The accuracy and meaning of your test results
In terms of your health and safety, if any of the following applies to you it is advised that you consult your GP before making a booking:
- If you currently consider yourself generally sedentary or haven’t exercised in a while (>6 months)
- Any previous issues with exercise (e.g. pain, dizziness, fainting) or if you have a current injury or medical condition which could affect your ability to exercise
- Any known heart or lung issues (including chronic asthma)
- Known blood pressure issues (low or high)
- Any metabolic issues, including diabetes
- A family history of any cardiovascular disorders (including heart disease, stroke or heart attack)
- Currently taking any prescribed medication which could affect your ability to exercise
- Any other reason, including being told by your GP that you should not take part in vigorous exercise
As a part of your booking, you will be asked to confirm you have completed our pre-test questionnaire to confirm if you need to see a GP prior to your appointment. We will go through more in depth questions when you meet with us.
Preparing for your test
The day before
- Avoid vigorous exercise or training
- Aim to be rested/get a good night's sleep
- Minimise or avoid caffeine and alcohol
- Maintain your typical diet (don't suddenly change your intake)
- Keep a basic record of what you eat and drink to bring to your session
On the day
- Try not to rush but aim to be at Compass House, 104 East Road, Cambridge (CB5 8DZ) 15-minutes before your test appointment
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol
- Eat a light meal three to four hours before the test (but avoid high carbohydrate intake)
- Bring your record of what you eat and drink with you
- If you use an inhaler please bring it with you
- Do not consume sports drinks; just maintain normal hydration up to the test
- Do not train on the day, arrive rested
What do I need to bring?
All you need to bring with you is suitable training or exercise clothing (i.e. running top, shorts, socks, running shoes).
If you are doing a cycle test we recommend you bring cycle shorts for comfort. If bringing your own bike we recommend you put a training (turbo) tyre on the rear wheel and use your typical training gear, including cycle shoes.
There are changing and shower facilities onsite so we also recommend bringing a towel.
It is recommended that you also bring a bottle of water and a snack for after testing at your discretion.
Where do I need to go?
All testing takes place at our Compass House location on the corner of East Road (104 East Road, CB5 8DZ).
Driving: There is public parking at the Grafton Centre next door.
Train: We are 10-15 minutes' walking distance from the station.
How do I book a test?
Book an appointment with our Exercise and Performance Testing Consultancy