Dr Wei Kang
Lecturer in Finance
Faculty:Faculty of Business and Law
School:Economics, Finance and Law
Areas of Expertise:
Accounting and Finance , Business, management and leadership , Gender , International Business , Organisational Behaviour
Dr Wei Kang is a lecturer in finance, with a strong research and teaching profile and outstanding supervisory experience of DBA/PhD.
Email Wei Kang
Wei's research focuses on ESG, corporate governance, diversity and network analysis. Her research primarily seeks to influence and change awareness, practice, policy and culture in the corporate world. She is an active peer reviewer for international journals and conferences. Wei is a fellow of the Higher Education Academy and is currently teaching at ARU and our partner universities in China. She has gained substantial experience to curriculum review and development for Accounting and Finance subjects and currently consults on the launch of new prep courses at ARU. She also works closely with the industry and delivered a diversity of projects to enhance business students employability.
- Social Network Analysis
Wei has a wide range of teaching experience on different postgraduate and undergraduate subjects, including Big Data Analytics, financial data analytics, financial management, quantitative methods, big data fundamentals and financial investment analysis. She has been constantly reflecting on her practical teaching skills, passionate about her subject areas with a specialised interest to develop student subject skills and transferable skills such as critical thinking, effective communication and creative problem solving.
- PhD in Accounting and Finance, Bangor University
- MSc in Accounting and Finance, University of Exeter
- BSc in Accounting and Finance, Bangor University
Memberships, editorial boards
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member, British Accounting and Finance Association
- Member, UK Research and Innovation
- Reviewer, Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance
- Reviewer, Emerging Market Review
- Reviewer, International Review of Financial Analysis
Research grants, consultancy, knowledge exchange
- Co-Investigator: Discover Economics Student Champion Programme (Successful)
Selected recent publications
- Wang, Y., Zhang, Y.F., and Kang, W. (2022). Female analyst coverage and socially responsible investing: Investigation of Chinese Listed Firms during the COVID-19 Pandemic, Emerging Market Reviews.
- Wang, Y., Zhang, Y.F., and Kang, W. (2022). CEO tenure and environmental commission fraud in Chinese family firms. Journal of Financial Stability.
- Kang, W., Ashton, J., and Orujov, A.(2022). Realising gender diversity on corporate boards: An assessment of global policy measures. International Journal of the Economics of Business.
- Kang, W., Ashton, J., and Orujov, A. Spanning the chasm between diversity and firm performance. An assessment of the moderating effect of boardroom networks.
- Kang, W., Ashton, J., and Orujov, A. Supply or demand? Illuminating gender inequality at the corporate top with insights into gender differences in network structure and access.
- Wang, Y., Zhang, Y.F., and Kang, W. Anti-corruption campaign and corporate environmental performance.
Recent presentations and conferences
'Research escalator - pitch your idea', University of Tanjungpura, Indonesia, 2022
'Adoption of fintech in practice', Rukmini Devi Institute of Advanced Studies, India, 2021
Accountability sustainability and governance workshop, University of Bristol
The international accounting and finance doctoral symposium (AFDS), Politecnico di Milano, Milan
BAFA annual conference, University of Derby
Corporate governance: Examining key challenges and perspective. Lisbon, Portugal, 2020
Gender (in)equality in higher education event, University of Bangor
Global perspectives - building better together: frameworks for advancing gender and race equality globally. Advanced HE.