Dr Michael Gerlich
Lecturer for Marketing and Strategy
Faculty:Faculty of Business and Law
Areas of Expertise:
Business Administration , Business Management , Marketing , Organisational Behaviour
Michael is a specialist in management disciplines. As a former CEO he combines practical management experience with academic theories and research.
Michael has been working amongst political and economic elites for more than 30 years as a high-ranking government advisor on economic development and business leader in central Europe and post-Soviet societies. He develop brand stretching concepts for global brands, led international consumer analysis in the food industry and created brand strategies for new products. He has a wide university teaching experience at leading universities in the UK, Netherlands, Germany, Russia, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan. Michael taught Business in a Global Context
and Core Management Concepts
at the London School of Economics and Political Science and Change Management
in the MBA course of Maastricht School of Management. In January 2021, Michael joined ARU in the School of Management. He combines academic theories and research with his extended international business experiences and his background as a political advisor on economic development. He researches cultural anthropology, political sciences and marketing.
- Elite theory in different societies - impact on political systems and decision making
- Changes in consumer behaviour
- Novel marketing approaches - what is next?
- Change theories in transitioning economies
Areas of research supervision
Michael is a qualitative researcher, with experience of ethnographic and interview-based research methodologies. He is happy to consider proposals from PhD students with an interest in qualitative research methods to investigate any of the research interests above. Michael is currently supervising a DBA student and several MBA students.
Michael teaches management modules for undergraduate and postgraduate students:
- Marketing Communications
- Financial and Professional Services Marketing
- Strategic Management
- Leadership and Change
- PhD in Business and Management, ARU, UK
- MBA - Master of Business Administration, University of Cambridge, UK
- MA in Business Management, University of Applied Sciences, Trier, Germany
- Certified Master Coach, Behavioural Coaching Institute, New York, USA
Memberships, editorial boards
- Member, Academy of International Business (AIB)
- Member, British Sociological Society (BSA)
- Member, International Political Science Association (IPSA)
- Member, International Coaching Council (ICC)
Selected recent publications
- Gerlich, M., 2022. Micro-influencer Marketing During COVID-19 Pandemic: New Vistas or the End of an Era? Journal of Digital & Social Media Marketing, vol9 no4, 337-353
- Gerlich, M., 2021. How Elite Configurations Explain Shifts from Democracy to Authoritarian or Totalitarian Regimes: Turkey as a Case Study. Open Journal of Political Science, 11, 273-300. doi: 10.4236/ojps.2021.112019
- Gerlich, M., 2021. COVID-19 Induced Changes in Consumer Behaviour. Open Journal of Business and Management, 0, 2425-2451. doi: 10.4236/objm.2021.95131
Panellist and speaker at several economic, business and political conferences on Central Asia and South Caucasus. Michael has been interviewed by Business Journals in Germany, South Caucasus and Central Asia.