Lecturer in Adult Nursing
Faculty:Faculty of Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care
School:Nursing and Midwifery
Kathleen is a NMC registered nurse and non-medical prescriber, specialist in Intensive Care with 20 years of experience in cardiothoracic, general and transplant Intensive Care.
After qualifying as a Registered Nurse in Poland, Kathleen went to Australia where she worked with cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. Kathleen subsequently moved to Intensive Care where she completed a specialist Intensive Care Course and started developing an interest in End-of-Life care and Organ Donation. She worked in a Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit caring for heart and lung transplant patients.
After moving to UK in 2009, Kathleen joined the Essex Cardiothoracic Centre at Basildon Hospital in Cardiothoracic ICU and she was also a part of the Organ Donation Committee and End of Life Strategy Group for the Trust. Kathleen developed clinical audits and presented them as poster presentations during Intensive Care Society Conferences.
Kathleen completed her Cardiac Care module and Masters in Advanced Nursing Practice focusing on her MP in End of Life Care patients receive whilst working in the ICU.
- End of Life Care
- Organ Donation
- Communication among the Multidisciplinary team in ICU setting
- MSc in Advanced Nursing Practice, Anglia Ruskin University
- Diploma in Leadership and Management, The City and Guilds of London Institute
- Diploma in Adult Nursing, Medical College, Poland
Memberships, editorial boards
- Member, Royal College of Nursing
- Member, Intensive Care Society
Recent presentations and conferences
- Karauda, K. (2021) ITU during pandemic – nursing perspectives [presentation]. UK, Inter-professional Challenges to COVID-19 Virtual Conference, 10 March, Anglia Ruskin University
- Karauda, K. Maccaroni, M. Waghmare, K. (2017) Adequacy of Venous Thromboembolism prophylaxis in Intensive Care Unit [e-poster presentation]. UK, The State of the Art Meeting 2017, 4-6 December, Intensive Care Society
- Karauda, K. Maccaroni, M. Waghmare, K. (2016) Repatriation process for level 2/3 patients from Tertiary Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit to local DGH’s [e-poster presentation]. UK, The State of the Art Meeting 2016, 5-7 December, Intensive Care Society