1. Tell us about yourself.
I am Tiago Varela, an entrepreneur, private consultant and mentor, with experience in building businesses and helping others build theirs. I am passionate about music and dance, and driven by the entertainment industry. I also love making music, and performing on stage. My current business endeavours include a consultancy firm, a talent agency, a digital business (iDream Academy) and a Creative Community Hub.
2. What is your fondest memory at Anglia Ruskin University?
Meeting all the friends I made there for the first time.
3. What advice would you give to current students as they're preparing to graduate?
Get involved in projects and businesses that you are passionate about and build up as much experience as you can. Take a lot of risks, fail, learn, and do it better next time.
4. What do you know now that you wish you had known whilst you were studying?
I wish I knew how to start smaller in the beginning in business.
5. How did your time at Anglia Ruskin help you?
I gained essential knowledge during my course that helped support my growth in my business journey.
6. What did you love about your chosen course?
The people I met, and the confidence the course gave me in business.
7. What would you tell someone thinking of studying at ARU?
Go for it.
8. In one word how would you describe Anglia Ruskin?
9. Who was the biggest influence on your career?
My mentors and my family.
10. What accomplishment are you most proud of?
My new project – ECP Hub / ISE Studios!
11. What advice would you give your younger self?
Keep at what you are doing, but continue to grow the small “bread and butter” revenue stream from your first business. It will help you recover from your future financial losses, and support your growth.
12. What drives you?
My purposes – looking after my family, changing disadvantaged lives and building a legacy.
13. What’s next?
Later this year, I will be launching my digital platform and releasing my debut album independently. Aim for the moon, land in the stars.