ARU Certificate for Professional Development
ARU Certificate for Professional Development (ARUCPD) is a unique, optional course, that you study alongside your degree. But why take on extra work outside of your normal degree?
As part of the Faculty of Business and Law, ARUCPD can help you be work-ready and gain the skills employers seek and to stand out from the competition when you graduate. You'll add invaluable benefit to your CV by being able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills you've gained during your degree through ARUCPD.
It's also a great conversation starter with potential employers to showcase your critical reasoning skills, the achievements you've made or projects you've completed, how you've managed your time and workload whilst also succeeding in your main degree.
Taking the time now for extra-curricular study and activities like ARUCPD helps you with:
- improved employability when you graduate
- improved breadth of knowledge outside your chosen subject
- increased technical and baseline skills
- wider avenues for networking and creating connections you'll need in the future
- improved leadership and teamworking in a multi-cultural community
- developing skills to not just get the job, but to be ready in the workplace
Plus, ARUCPD is free is you're studying with us in the Faculty of Business and Law and you gain 60 additional credits.
ARUCPD modules are not linked to your degree and you can choose each one you take, tailoring your choices to those you feel will most benefit you in the future or just because they sound the most fun or interesting.
The sessions can be studied in three different ways, depending on your learning style; tutor-led, student-led or flexible/independent learning. Each one will refine your leadership skills, build your critical reasoning and because you'll work with others students from all years and subjects, you'll also make new friends and connections.
What can you study
Here are some examples of some of the modules you can choose from:
- Become a Microsoft Office Specialist - one of the easiest modules to fit around your students, where you independently learn essential MS Office skills
- Mooting - develop your oral argument, public speaking, presenting or legal research skills, with the chance to enter national competitions
- Negotiation - develop your existing abilities as a negotiator, enhancing your proficiency in a range of general, specific and professional skills
- Enterprise Challenge - work with other students as a board of directors and compete in a national competition to showcase your business skills
- Powerful Pitching - put your pitching skills into practice with ideation, value creation, creativity and teamwork
- Professional Skills - build knowledge in another subject by taking an academic module from a different degree
- Representation in Higher Education - champion the views and interests of your fellow students as an amazing student representative, leading communications and change in your academic journey
- Student Leadership and Development - lead in the design, development and delivery of key strategic projects that support students, increase engagement, improve learning experience or provide extra-curricular opportunities for the faculty
- Peer Assisted Learning (PALs) - lead informed study groups with students at the beginning of their undergraduate studies and develop your public speaking, facilitation, communication and teamwork skills
- Next Generation Entrepreneurs - learn everything you need to become a small business owner, from understanding the responsibilities of entrepreneurship to figuring our the financial and operational aspects of your future business
- Legal Skills in Practice - volunteer at our award-winning Law Clinic and gain essential legal skills
- Social Media Marketing Professional - social media is (literally) the most influential and important virtual space - essential not only for networking but also for digitally advertising your brand, product, events and even yourself
- Become a Project Management Professional - look at the basics of project management and develop your understanding and ability to coordinate and lead projects from start to finish in an efficient and effective way
- ARU Employability Programme - develop the 13 key employability skills employers look for in their next recruit, using the ARU Careers Centre resources
All modules are subject to availability and some may not be available in certain trimesters.
Got a few questions?
Take a look at our frequently asked questions or you can get in touch with us at "email@example.com