Course detail and funding
Our BSc (Hons) Data Scientist Degree Apprenticeship is a fantastic opportunity to develop trained early career bioinformaticians for your business.
We've developed the course with a wide spectrum of leading, industry-relevant employers, along with academic experts, to deliver the skills that employers want. The apprenticeship is mapped to the Level 6 Data Scientist Degree Apprenticeship Standard.
The following modules will be covered on the BSc (Hons) Bioinformatics degree.
- Core Biology 1
- Introduction to Bioinformatics and Data Science
- Introduction to Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Mathematics and Statistics for Bioinformatics
- Computational Methods and Algorithms
- Introduction to Software Engineering
- Foundations of Cell Biology
- Laboratory Techniques for Bioinformatics
- Core Biology 2
- Understanding the Bioinformatics Workplace
- Bioinformatics Software, Tools and Programming<
- Databases, Management and Analytics
- Metabolism and Control
- Principles of Genetics
- Preparation for Research
- Proteomics and Molecular Structure
- Advanced Programming Methods for Systems Biology and Visualisation
- Translational Bioinformatics
- Molecular Cell Biology
- Business Planning and Entrepreneurship
- Medical Genetics
- Current Advances in Biomedical Science
- Undergraduate Major Project
Our course is:
- delivered part-time over four years
- blended learning: online study combined with one day at ARU’s Cambridge campus for lectures, workshops and lab work
- suitable for new recruits aged 17 or over who meet the minimum entry requirements (eg school leavers, level 3 and 4 apprentices) as well as existing staff employed in a relevant role.
We also offer an additional six months to complete the End Point Assessment (EPA), which consists of a knowledge test, report and professional discussion.
You'll find more information on the course page, where apprentices can also apply.
Fees and funding
The total fees for this course are £19,000 over four years.
You can use the Apprentice Levy towards course fees.
- Companies with an annual salary bill of less than £3m: you'll pay 5% of the total course costs, payable in monthly instalments.
- Companies with an annual salary bill of more than £3m: you'll contribute 0.5% over the £3m into the Apprentice Levy. You'll then be able to use funds in your Digital Account to fund apprenticeships for existing staff or new apprentices. The Government provides £1.10 for every £1 you pay in.
Take a look at our FAQs for more information about the Apprenticeship Levy and funding.
Find out more about the benefits to your business offered by our Data Scientist Degree Apprenticeship.