Course detail and funding
Our Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) accredited apprenticeship provides a comprehensive education pathway to being a professionally qualified and capable town planner.
This course maps onto the level 7 of the Town Planner Degree Apprenticeship Standard and associated assessment. On completion of the apprenticeship successful apprentices will become Chartered Members of the Royal Town Planning Institute (MRTPI) and use the title Chartered Town Planner.
There are two start dates per year – January and September.
The following modules will be covered on the Town Planner Degree Apprenticeship course.
- Planning Principals and Concepts
- Site Studies and Urban Change
- Planning and Society
- Plan Making and Policy
- Planning Implementation
- Sustainability and Environmental Management
- Research and Design Methods
- Housing and Planning
Year 2/3 depending on start date
- Dissertation or Major Project (Completion Phase)
Our course is:
- delivered part-time over two and a half years (September start: 2 years and 4 months. January start: 2 years and 9 months)
- part-time learning with term-time day release to our Chelmsford campus
- suitable for existing staff, emerging talent and new recruits
- designed for those who have a mentor to support and guide them in their study and career progression for the duration of the apprenticeship.
You'll find more information on the course page.
Fees and funding
The total fees are £11,200, over the length of the course.
You can use the Apprentice Levy towards course fees.
- Companies with an annual salary bill of less than £3m: you'll pay 5% of the total course fees, payable in monthly instalments.
- Companies with annual salary bill of more than £3m: you'll contribute 0.5% over the £3m into the Apprentice Levy. You'll then be able to use funds in your Digital Account to fund apprenticeships for existing staff or new apprentices. The Government provides £1.10 for every £1 you pay in.
Take a look at our FAQs for more information about the Apprenticeship Levy and funding.
Find out more about the benefits to your business offered by our Town Planner Degree Apprenticeship.