Wellbeing at university

This page has information for parents and carers about students' wellbeing at university, and some of the support services we offer at ARU.

If you're interested in studying with us, check our health and wellbeing page for students.

Our services

The Counselling and Wellbeing Service provided by ARU offers a free and confidential space for students to talk through any concerns they may have.

Some students settle in quickly and adapt to a new way of life while others may struggle, particularly initially with being away from home and friends and family. They may also worry about their course, making new friends and fitting in – or about issues in the past, the present and the future.

Advice and information

If you’re concerned about your son or daughter you can contact us and we’ll be happy to talk through your concerns with you.

In line with the GDPR, we will not be able to give you any information regarding a particular student or even confirm whether or not they are studying with us. What we can offer is some general advice about the situation and information about our services, that you can then pass on.

Your son or daughter can contact us by email at wellbeing@aru.ac.uk or register online and book a consultation to suit their availability.

We're also available for daily drop-in sessions from 11am–12 noon in Chelmsford and Cambridge where they will be seen by a counsellor or mental health adviser.

An additional drop-in from 2–3pm is available in Cambridge (teaching weeks only). In the additional drop-in they'll be seen by our Wellbeing Adviser. The Adviser can signpost to internal and external professional support and deliver general, non-specialist advice to enable them to manage their wellbeing. This can include information on workshops running throughout the semester and online support through our CBT resource SilverCloud, which covers a range of issues including stress, anxiety and depression.

Confidentiality is vital in our work and information can only be shared with students' written consent.

Recognising depression

If you’re concerned that your son or daughter may be suffering with depression, it would be useful to read this free guide from the Charlie Waller Memorial Trust: Parents’ Guide to Depression. You can order a copy online.