Studying an English language course for 6-11 months

From 1 December 2020, students who wish to study an English language course that is no less than six months and no more than 11 months in length can apply for a Short-term student visa.

To apply for a Short-term student visa:

  • You must have an offer of a place to study an English language course that is between six and 11 months long
  • You must be aged 16 or older on the date of your immigration application
  • You must not be studying any other subject
  • You must leave the UK within 30 days of the end of your course, or at the end of 11 months, whichever comes first
  • You must apply for entry clearance before you come to the UK
  • You have enough money to be cover your fees, living costs, accommodation and the cost of your return or onward journey
  • You must study only this course .

Find out more about Short-term student visas and start your Short-term student visa application.

If you wish to study any other short course, you can enter the UK under the visitor route.

Please note: European Economic Area and Swiss nationals who wish to enter the UK to study an English course of 6-11 months duration after 11pm on 31 December 2020 but who are not eligible to apply under the EU settlement scheme will have to apply for a Short-term student visa. Please email the International Student Advisers at if you would like further advice.